Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk Question mark strike - 11/04/03 01:44 AM
I'm going on a question mark strike!

You need to use the tip of your left index to type the question mark and as y'all know, I ain't got one, and my finger hurts when I hit the end of it so I'm officially on question mark strike.

And yes, I know that I could take to pecking at the keyboard like most people but I have my "doigté" (I learned to type in high-school) and just type along really quickly so stopping is distracting.

I know it is a pet peeve of a few people here when a question mark does not appear at the end of a question but voila, circumstances being what they are, and my middle finger refusing to take up the baton (for some reason it just does not want to train itself to type that key) so, I apologize in advance.

The number six will also be avoided when at all possible

Posted By: Jackie Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 01:47 AM
Ok, Sweetie, I shall refrain from my customary fussing...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 01:50 AM
sorry to hear that, bel.
but it made me wonder: when did the question mark show up? and what was used before that?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 01:54 AM
Dunno, but I know I'd have a hell of a time typing Spanish questions since the question marks show up at the beginning and end of their sentences.

Somehow, that seems to make sense to me since it tells the reader right away that what follows is a question. Apart from right now, when I'm having trouble with my finger end, I wouldn't mind doing the beginning/end punctuation thing.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 03:02 AM
But of course there is no problem, Bel. I am sure that everyone here will make allowances for your missing digit. Of course, you could always post here without typing, as I've almost done here. Sending this post took approximately six keystrokes.

Posted By: wwh Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 03:02 AM
Dear belMarduk: couldn't you slow down momentarily, and find right hand Shift key with fourth finger, and carefully slide it to the question mark key? I just did it. Boy, am I glad now that I learned to type touch. I couldn't use the "Hunt & Peck" (no eponym) system, I have trouble reading the labels on the keys.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 04:38 AM
In reply to:

when did the question mark show up? and what was used before that?

Greek used (and still does)what to us looks like a semi-colon. Is that any good to you, bel; Prolly not, says he, looking at what he uses to type a semi-colon.

Bingley

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 10:22 AM
six keystrokes

?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 11:18 AM
Maybe you could just use Alt 0191 and be different. Or does that require the missing digit ¿

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 12:38 PM
Connie, you read my mind. I knew there was some sort of number code people used to use.

][ oops didn't work, this is what happens if I use Alt 0191 I get the square bracket thingies (which is o.k. because I couldn't find them anywhere on this new keyboard).

Posted By: maahey Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 12:44 PM
I use the left ring to hold down the left Shift and use my RIGHT little finger to hit question mark. Am I alone in this? Bel, could you do this, maybe?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 01:15 PM
I'm sure you're the only one who uses your left ring and RIGHT little fingers to do much of anything, maahey.

It is nice of you to offer to type belM's question marks for her, though.

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 03:09 PM
...or you could do what the Japanese do and stick a "ka" on the end.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 06:28 PM
six keystrokes
?

Here be Dragon®

Posted By: Faldage Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 06:30 PM
Max picks up his mouse and says, in a clear, phoney Scottish accent, "Computer!"

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 06:41 PM
I cannae give you more cap'n.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Question mark strike - 11/04/03 11:33 PM
Okay, bel, no on else has asked, so I hafta: *My keyboard has the ? on the lower row, right hand side. Why do you use your left ring finger? I just recalled your reference to a new keyboard - is it one of those new-fangled, non-traditional ones where you have to relearn key positions?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 12:38 AM
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 12:50 AM
Thanks, Faldage, for explaining that. I thought that Bel was probably using a different keyboard.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 01:23 AM
I be learnin' sumpin new, every day around this place. all is clear now. and Fald, that's one of my favorite scenes in my favorite ST movie, and bel, I am so impressed by the whole Dvorak idea. and now I know someone who uses it! cool.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 01:59 AM
Except the Dvorak keyboard shown in Faldage's link has the ? moved up two rows, but still on the right - again, why use the *left index finger?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 02:08 AM
curioser and curioser?

Posted By: maahey Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 03:40 AM
Whilst you might be quite right about the right little, Faldage, the left ring.......well, now *that's a very important finger and does a lot many things for a lot many people, don't you think?
All seriousness aside, Nancyk's worries mirror mine.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 11:38 AM
My point in posting the layout was to show that it probably wsn't the one belM was talking about. I suspect she has a French Canadian layout. Lessee kin I find one a nem:

http://www.jimmy.com/Software/KeyMapPro2/Images/1/KMP-FrenchCanadian.gif

So the ? is shift-6. Can't you switch to using your *right index for it and shift with your left little?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 01:55 PM
That's it. Faldage, ol' fren'.

I remember belM talking about having an é key on her keyboard and there it is - just where we have the ?.

Vive la difference.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic French Canadian layout - 11/05/03 04:05 PM
Hey, Rhuby, aren't you missing a ? over one of your es?

Posted By: nancyk Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/05/03 11:57 PM
Merci, M. Faldage!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/06/03 11:41 AM
maahey, I have to ask: did you use mirror mine because of the right/left switch implication?

Posted By: maahey Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/06/03 02:48 PM
I wish I had Jackie! But sadly, the thought had not crossed my mind. [sigh]

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/07/03 01:27 AM
That's it Faldage. That's my Keyboard, the French one. My question mark is over the 6 on the top row of keys. I used to use my left index (not my ring finger) to press the 6 and my right pinky on the 'shift' to make a question mark.

I've just found something fun though, on a regular keyboard I can't reach the six easily but on the laptop keyboard, my right index automatically gets to it and voila ??????? HA.

And with your help I can now use the markup square quotes. Now if I could find those sideways pointy hat thingies I'd been in like Flynn.

Thanks everybody

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/07/03 11:37 AM
those sideways pointy hat thingies

Lools like they're in the qwerty row all the way over to the right. < is regular and > is shifted. ¿Qué no?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Dvorak keyboard - 11/07/03 09:29 PM
Lemme try.

Ooo, I found them. They are down there at the bottom beside the M <<>>

I hadn't known about pressing on the right ALT key to get a whole new set of character. If I press the left ALT key, my computer goes boop at me. Very odd.

You guys are great. I admit I am a tad ignorant about computers and the assorted paraphernalia. Oddly, I'm a whiz with WORD. [shrug e]

Posted By: wow Re: Something to annoy you !?! - 11/09/03 04:29 PM
Just suppose : You move to Canada from USA and in the move your keyboard is lost.
So you buy a new keyboard in Montreal.
Now, does that work?
I have a new dog and my brain is mush as we get used to each other.
All these off thoughts keep creeping in. Is it loss of sleep? Stress of a new "relationship?"
Oh, pooh.
Any advice welcome.
Sighhhhh

Posted By: Jackie Re: Something to annoy you !?! - 11/09/03 09:23 PM
Not to worry, Dear wow--I'm sure the dog will have you trained before you know it...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Something to annoy you !?! - 11/11/03 12:41 AM
Well Wow, if you move to Québec,all you have to do is ask for an English keyboard and the trick is done, you can use it with your programmes.

If you get a French keyboard, the keys won't show the right pictures but the keys will still be what you're used to. For example, French keyboards have keys for é, è, ç, and à keys along with accent keys (^ ¨)

============================================================

Ooooo, and what puppy did you wind up with?

Posted By: Zed Re: Something to annoy you !?! - 11/11/03 01:34 AM
And in France I used a keyboard that had the n and m in different places but now I can't remember where. I have enough trouble with thes keyvoard. See what I mean. and I reverse t and n and then I get the = whaenever I try to backspane.
This is why I proofread. (that and my spelling) [tnogue oops I mean

Posted By: wow Re: Dog report - 11/12/03 12:57 PM
The two-year-old female was too much for me ...a love bug but a really adventurous spirit... so she went to ToyDogRescue.org --- located in nearby Massachusetts town, run by a really wonderful gal who does yeoman work in rescuing small dogs --- and was quickly adopted by a single (younger) woman from a town nearby.
"My Boy" aka "Boy" aka "Pal" ... is settling in and it looks like I have a new dog. At least that is his opinion. He is a male, 7-years-old, a bit more settled, a Bichon/Mini-Poodle mix, long legs like a poodle, a curly Bichon coat and curly tail -- a gentleman with a handsome face - my son says I should name him "Judge" because he has that "look!"
Only fault is he loves to get on my bed and barks a lot if I leave him in the car to run into the Post Office etc. but I think that will even out as he really settles in and realizes I will be back. He has a few abandonment issues which will be overcome -in time- with experience and love.
BTW, Bel, could you use the "Q" to precede the question?
Q: Would that work for you.

© Wordsmith.org