Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill R.I.P. Gregory Peck - 06/12/03 10:44 PM
Atticus Finch...need I say more? I admired his talent and the dignified manner in which he conducted his life. I'll miss him.

Posted By: Tross Re: R.I.P. Gregory Peck - 06/12/03 10:49 PM
Aye. I just watched "To Kill a Mockingbird" with my kids (their first time)last month and we still have conversations centered around it. But, David Brinkley and Gregory Peck... I'm just waiting for that third shoe to drop.

Posted By: wow Re: R.I.P. Gregory & David - 06/13/03 03:03 PM
Peck and Brinkley : Two of the great ones.

Did you catch the TV Guide program listing the top movie heroes? After going through all the crash-and-smash guys they had the good taste to name Atticus Finch as played by Gregory Peck as Number One Hero.

Posted By: dxb Re: R.I.P. Gregory Peck - 06/13/03 03:13 PM
I'm just waiting for that third shoe to drop

If you're superstitious, they say that you should snap a spent match after the second incident in order to prevent the third.

Posted By: wow Re: "threes" - 06/13/03 04:34 PM
snap a spent match after the second incident in order to prevent the third.

I'm leaving to go get some wooden matches - right now !!
The darn paper matches just refuse to snap!
Thanks for the remedy, dear dxb!
No, of course I's not superstitious....but just in case - wouldn't want to tempt fate! Fingers crossed, spiting over left shoulder and between hands crossed at wrist, while walking backward looking in a mirror by candlelight

Posted By: Zed Re: "threes" - 06/14/03 12:02 AM
"walking backward looking in a mirror by candlelight'
Now that's tempting fate!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: R.I.P. Gregory Peck - 06/14/03 12:40 AM
And Peck will always be the definitive Captain Ahab for me. Patrick Stewart did a good job in the recent TV movie version, but, in my mind, Gregory Peck is Ahab. The scene where he's stabbing the whale with the harpoon will always be one of the highlights of my cinematic memory.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: "threes"--R.I.P. Hume Cronyn - 06/16/03 11:00 PM
Well, there's the third...Hume Cronyn. Another fine actor. The production of The Gin Game he did with his late wife, Jessica Tandy, will always be a classic.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: "threes"--R.I.P. Hume Cronyn - 06/17/03 10:17 AM

Damn. I love Hume Cronyn.

I stayed up till 1:00am this morning, though, to watch The Big Country with Gregory Peck, Charles Heston, Burl Ives, and Chuck Connors. The thing that strikes me about this movie as well as TKAMB is that Peck is playing an adult. Few of the other chronological adults in these two movies have actually grown up.

k

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gregory Peck - 06/22/03 09:42 PM
I just returned from Monroeville. The people around there would say things to me like, "You know Atticus just died..."

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: R.I.P. Gregory Peck - 06/25/03 01:36 AM
W'on, I wondered when someone would mention Capt. Ahab. While Peck's work as Atticus Finch was splendid, I will remember him more for Ahab, which was a really magnificent performance. I can't imagine a more difficult character to portray. I've read the novel I don't know how many times and I still can't get anywhere close to the depths of the character of Capt. Ahab, so I sure don't know how an actor decides how to play him, but Peck's portrayal I thought reflected the novel very well.

© Wordsmith.org