Wordsmith.org
Posted By: modestgoddess Rolling candlelight vigil, Sunday - 03/13/03 10:40 PM
Please don't read this post if you agree with Bush and Blair.

For those who disagree and want to let the inspections work, you can sign up for, or start, a candlelight vigil at this site:

http://www.globalvigil.org

It's a rolling wave of candlelight, starting in New Zealand at 7 pm Sunday and circling the globe. I'll be at the Kingston one - and thinking of all of you, as well as all the other people in the world I love and for whom I wish safety and peace.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Rolling candlelight vigil, Sunday - 03/15/03 02:10 AM
Well, I'm very excited - in case anyone's interested, here's the latest on the candlelight vigils (a small portion of an email about them that I just received):

Dear vigil participants worldwide,

You're part of something huge. Together, on Sunday, we will make a
powerful statement against war by holding over 3600 candlelight vigils
around the world. In the words of one vigil participant, the
Archbishop Desmond Tutu, "On Sunday evening people in every corner of
the globe will shine beacons of light throughout the world. May our
candles rekindle the light of reason and hope so that war will be
averted in Iraq and peace will prevail in the world."

Vigils are taking place in over 90 nations. The fact that this
unprecedented event has come together in only a few days is proof of
the breadth and depth of opposition to a war with Iraq. It is also
proof of the abundance of brilliance and dedication that exists
in every community.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Rolling candlelight vigil, Sunday - 03/15/03 02:14 AM
There's one up at the Lincoln Memorial that I'm considering driving up to if I can find someone from around here who'd like to go, although there is one in Richmond, which would be closer. Still, it would be good to be part of the Washington crew.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Rolling candlelight vigil, Sunday - 03/17/03 05:38 PM
Well it was grand being part of that....much good it did, but it was still grand being part of it.

DubDub, how many showed up to the candlelight vigil you went to? (and which one did you choose in the end?) There were probably between 150 and 200 people at the one here in Kingston. - I had a look at the website and saw some vigils in New Zealand and Australia....Haven't been back but should, just to check out where else people lit up for peace.

© Wordsmith.org