Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Who's Online - 02/05/03 02:27 PM
I think it is more fun to stay online when other members are also online.
At present four members are brave enough to let their presence be known.
Perhaps if more of us did likewise, there would be more enjoyable activity on the board.
I can think of no good reason for members' wishing to conceal their presence.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 02:36 PM
wwh,

I keep my classroom computer online all day long, with usually a page for Google open and AWAD open for quick checks.

In the old days, it appeared as though 'Wordwind' was there all the time, when I wasn't. I decided it was just too confusing to appear to be actively online when, for most of the time, I wasn't really there, so I chose to appear 'invisible.' And there are probably lots of other reasons people have for not wanting to appear visible--perfectly innocent, logical reasons.

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 02:41 PM
Ditto with me, Dr. Bill. I'm actually never logged out so it would look like I was here all the time when I'm not. Besides there will be very little crossover between my online time and yours. I am, after all, nine hours ahead of you.

It's no problem for me to change my hidden status as long as everyone keeps in mind the above.

Posted By: wwh Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 02:55 PM
Dear WW & Rubrick: Thanks for your explanations, thouigh I was not thinking of anyone
in particular. Just trying to encourage some of the others to become visible, which might
stimulate activity on the board.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 03:13 PM
never logged out so it would look like I was here all the time

I don't think it works that way. I think it goes by latest activity. If you haven't done anything in the last x number of minutes it doesn't show you.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 03:18 PM
Well, that sounds like a pretty cool challenge, Faldagian one.

I'll go make myself appear, and let's see--if I keep my mouth shut--if I disappear later today.

WW

Posted By: Faldage Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 03:23 PM
I'll check for ya regularly, Dub' Dub.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 03:29 PM
It's not enough keeping your mouth shut, dear Dubbette; if you look in at all you'll be recorded as here. But one's handle does goes away after about 15 minutes.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 03:30 PM
a list of Users that have been active within the last 10 minutes

True to the posted info on the Who's Online page Dub' Dub fell off the end after 10 minutes.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 04:12 PM
Well, I'm back from lunch and it's good to know I wasn't here when I wasn't and that I'm here when I am, so, wwh, I'll at least appear online if that will make you happy, and maybe others will do so, too.

Best regards,
WW

P.S. Thanks for checking, AnnaS&Faldaggio

Posted By: wwh Re: Who's Online - 02/05/03 05:13 PM
Dear Ww: let us hope that assurance of a live audience will promote more participation.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: Hu Zonlain? - 02/05/03 05:59 PM
Isn't that the new Chinese Leader?

Posted By: wwh Re: Hu Zonlain? - 02/05/03 06:49 PM
That was Chou Enlai - him long gone.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hu Zonlain? - 02/05/03 06:53 PM
That's OK, Schmalzi, some of us got it.

Posted By: wwh Re: Hu Zonlain? - 02/05/03 08:26 PM
Zhou do, do you?

© Wordsmith.org