Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy post format--going wide - 12/02/02 03:44 PM
This is for regulars and new commers.

Occationally, a post will go wide-- by that i mean the text window will be wider than your screen, and you will have scroll bars on the bottom that allow you to scroll from left to right as well as scroll bars for up and down. it makes it very awkward to read.

i rarely have the problem... and i learned from WoW this weekend, that not everyone has set their preference to TOP-

so if you go to edit profile, and from there to Display Preferences, you will find about a choice for "Post Display formate" the default is side (this causes the heading, the date, and the time of the post to be displayed on the left side of the posting.

if you change it to top, the information is a top heading. and you text window is a few characters wider, and so less likely to ever go wide

i have a large monitor, and small resolution, but if you have a laptop, or a small monitor, you'll find it a real help.

if you you haven't set your display to 99 posts (highest possible value) set that default too. Old threads often don't let you move from page to page, and if you have the default of 10, you'll only be able to read the first page.

99 loads a bit slower, but only on long threads, and its still faster than reading 10 posts, and going to the next page... and next page, and next page!

Posted By: Bingley Re: post format--going wide - 12/03/02 12:23 AM
For our newer members, one of the main causes of wide windows is long links to urls (website addresses). There is a handy link-shortener at http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php It's quite simple to use.

My apologies if this has been brought to people's attention recently and everybody knows about it.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: post format--going wide - 12/03/02 11:20 AM
brought to people's attention recently

It bears repeating.

© Wordsmith.org