Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Rolling Requiem - 09/10/02 07:46 PM
The Rolling Requiem has started in New Zealand.

http://www.rollingrequiem.org/

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rolling Requiem - 09/11/02 11:45 AM
Listening to livestream from Columbus; they're almost ready to start. I looked at the list of choirs--God bless Homer, Alaska--otherwise their time zone would have nobody.
It is worth noting that one of our former members, cormicanshack, is a member of the only participating choir in England-unfortunately she has to teach, today, and can't be with them.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Rolling Requiem - 09/11/02 06:51 PM
It's even made CNN (fwiw):

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J270410C1

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Rolling Requiem - 09/11/02 10:53 PM
ABC had footage tonight of the Requiem rolling around the world--many choirs. It was very moving to realize this coordinated effort of a show of rememberance for lives lost, especially from people of other nations.

Posted By: maverick Re: Rolling Requiem - 09/12/02 12:06 PM
especially from people of other nations

If the horror unleashed last year is to mean anything positive, let it remind us of this: we are indeed one small world of shared humanity.

Posted By: wow Re: Rememberance - 09/13/02 11:44 AM
Received this in a note from a friend in HAwaii today (Sept 14) I'm not sure that your newspapers would have picked up the story, but Hawaii sent thousands of orchid lei to NY yesterday so that each person's family would have an opportunity to put a lei onto the memorial grounds at the trade center.Hawaii people can be wonderful sometimes.

Posted By: FishonaBike Rose petals - 09/13/02 04:08 PM
each person's family would have an opportunity to put a lei onto the memorial grounds

Talking of remembering with flowers:

GREAT BRITAIN

Three thousand white rose petals were released from the Whispering Gallery in St Paul's Cathedral. The petals represented all of those who lost their lives in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

I caught this on the BBC News, and it was really beautiful - petals descending like snow, each one standing for a life.
After the service many people (including relatives of victims) spontaneously went to pick up petals to take away with them. Very moving.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rememberance - 09/14/02 01:16 PM
Hawaii sent thousands of orchid lei to NY yesterday so that each person's family would have an opportunity to put a lei onto the memorial grounds at the trade center. I wondered why so many were wearing them! Thank you, wow. I hope our friends inselpeter and oftroy made it through the day okay. I thought about them frequently. Shona: [kiss]

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Rose petals - 09/14/02 05:59 PM
Three thousand white rose petals were released from the Whispering Gallery in St Paul's Cathedral. The petals represented all of those who lost their lives in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

Who counted 'em?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Rose petals - 09/15/02 11:44 AM
Who counted 'em?

Assuming there is a more or less normal weight for a rose petal, you count out some number, say 30, as a sample and then add rose petals until the total weight is, in this case, 100 times the weight of the sample. You can even get scales that can be set to display count rather than weight.

© Wordsmith.org