Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Happy Granny and Grandpappy Day - 09/08/02 08:12 AM
Happy Grandparents' Day to all you old geezers out there!

My dad was a strict disciplinarian. Earl Jr. and I could get away with nothing, though we tried with much determination.

But as a grandfather to my daughter, he turned into a completely different creature. I could not so much as raise my voice a little to correct her when around him without his fussing at me for speaking too harshly to her. Unbelievable. I can still see him carrying her around the grove, when she was first learning to talk, and getting her to say to the folks at the family reunion, "I'm Pappa's boy!" Just to aggravate me who was trying to teach her basic concepts like colors, numbers, animal sounds, and the fact she was a girl.

Best regards to each and every one of you Great Indulgers who soften the sometimes too exacting expectations of well-meaning parents,

WW

Posted By: dxb Re: Happy Granny and Grandpappy Day - 09/09/02 08:30 AM
Grandparents' day? I don't believe the card sellers in the UK have caught on to that one yet. No doubt its just a matter of time before they do. Still, at least I shall be on the receiving rather than the spending end of the equation for once!

dxb.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Happy Granny and Grandpappy Day - 09/09/02 06:23 PM
at least I shall be on the receiving rather than the spending end of the equation for once!
My Dear, I shall be delighted to wish you a Happy Anything Day, any time you like!

Posted By: GallantTed Re: Happy Granny and Grandpappy Day - 09/09/02 11:13 PM
Howye fokes

Jackie, can we have a Teddy Bear day please? Not the same day as the picnic, now - a different one. And not on Dec 4 cos that's me burthday. Oh, and not on Oct 14 cos that's me anniveresary of becomen a Forem moderator. Any other day mabee - but I'll just checK with the other bears furst. This way, everyday will be a Teddy Bear day. Proper order too, sez me. Oh yeah, make sure we get the hole day off with pay.

be seein ya

GT

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Happy Granny and Grandpappy Day - 09/10/02 10:04 AM
can we have a Teddy Bear day please?

Well, GT, how does Winnie the Pooh's Unbirthday grab ya? A special Teddy Bear day that can be whenever you fancy; can't beat that.

the hole day off with pay
Ah. On second thoughts things could get better.

© Wordsmith.org