Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 03:09 PM
Is Google really changing its name? And, if so, why?

Thanks for any information,
WW

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 03:21 PM
here's the latest google® press release; it says naught about a name change.

http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/aol.html

()
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 03:31 PM
Well, I just read that article and now am more confused. Why would AOL members need Google if they already have access to it by typing in Google.com? It's already a free service. Why would AOL members need what is already a free service?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 04:07 PM
WW, where did you hear about Google changing its name? I noticed the Dilbert cartoons on the main page last week, but didn't reach that conclusion. What'd I miss?

Google is software that powers many search engines, including its own. I guess it will tailor its software to AOL's (ha!®) needs, with appropriate advertising, etc.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 04:41 PM
the extant search engine at AoL (ha!) is WeaK in the extreme -- this will just serve to focus complaints on other areas.

()
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 05:09 PM
Well, I thought I read that google was looking for suggestions for a new name in the cartoons--some dialogue there last week. I didn't realize it was a joke--I thought it was in earnest, but then didn't see any more mention of it. I am very, very gullible. It's good to know that google isn't changing its name because I love using it as a verb.

Thanks for the input,
WW

Posted By: wwh Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/28/02 05:22 PM
Barney Google had a wife three times his size. Barney Google, with the goo,goo,googly eyes.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/29/02 12:06 AM
Why would AOL members need Google if they already have access to it by typing in Google.com? It's already a free service. Why would AOL members need what is already a free service?

Because AOL is a crutch for the internet. It provides colorful, large print buttons for people who don't know how to type "google.com" into a browser.
[/snide comment]

Posted By: Father Steve Barney Google - 05/29/02 03:22 AM
Complete lyrics are available at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5109/NovBarney.html

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/29/02 05:50 PM
There's probably a googleplex of reasons. And that's approaching infinity!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Google-complexity - 05/30/02 09:00 PM
Interesting etymology:

googol: The number 10 raised to the power 100 (10¹ºº), written out as the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros. ETYMOLOGY: Coined at the age of nine by Milton Sirotta, nephew of Edward Kasner (1878–1955), American mathematician.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/58/G0195800.html

In LIU I found, to my surprise, that this is not the same spelling as the name of the search engine. Perhaps the search-engine name used different spelling for copyright reasons. Can anyone advise?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Google. A Quick Question - 05/31/02 03:57 PM
A googol is a one followed by 100 zeros.

A googolplex, though is a 1 followed by 10 to the 100th power zeros. And that's mighty big.

© Wordsmith.org