Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill RIP - Thor Heyerdahl - 04/19/02 03:26 PM
Sad news this morning that Thor Heyedahl has succumbed to cancer at 87. Explorer, author, archaeologist...a fascinating man. I read Kon-Tiki, his famous account of the balsa raft voyage he took across the Pacific from Peru to Polynesia, four times...loved it! It is said that before embarking on his famous voyage Heyerdahl had to overcome a deathly aversion to water due to a childhood near-drowning incident! His theories were also critized by his peers after his voyage, because, as a college drop-out, they derided him as an amateur archaeologist/anthropologist. I guess your proven exploration has no validity unless you have a piece of paper in your hand that says you have a college degree?...what? Well, he had a good life. His wife said that until his illness Heyerdahl maintained a dauntless pace of reserach, lectures and public debate over his unconventional theories on human migration...he made 70 airline trips just last year. He will be missed.

Here's the link to his homepgae with full accounts of his life and work, and a photos:

http://www.gci.ch/GreenCrossFamily/board/bios/heyerdahl.html

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: stales Re: RIP - Thor Heyerdahl - 04/20/02 01:05 PM
Thor Heyerdahl - until I heard of him and his exploits I thought Thor was pronounced thor.

I recall making a model raft to the specs of the Kon Tiki as a school project. Sorry to see him go.

stales

© Wordsmith.org