Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/13/02 08:50 PM
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Newfie photos - 02/13/02 08:54 PM
"Beanscenes" ... love it [hurrying off to look]

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Newfie photos - 02/13/02 09:31 PM
Pauvre Bean. I'm sure she's freezing her doohickies off at this time of the year. With wind coming off the north Altlantic I am sure it is even colder.

Bean, I'm sending you warm vibes as we speak. Don't worry, your two-weeks of summer will be on you soon

Posted By: maverick Re: Newfie photos - 02/13/02 11:32 PM
I shall do a little plain rain dance for you, Bean, to the tune of Tiddly Pom! I shall never complain about water again, at least ours moves...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Newfie photos - 02/13/02 11:40 PM
Tiddly Pom??? You know you'll have to explain that to us - or at least find a site where we can go to hear it.

Posted By: maverick Re: Newfie photos - 02/13/02 11:54 PM
The more it snows (Tiddly Pom), the more it goes (Tiddly Pom)...

maybe GallantTed can get one of his forebears to help us out here?

Posted By: stales Re: Newfie photos - 02/14/02 12:16 AM
Whoa Bean - I've had the words - and now the pix. Life is just about complete.

One thing however......It'd be fair to say that your mob expect snow - right? So, why is the pitch of your roof so shallow? I thought we'd be looking at +30 degrees at least - right up to Cape Cod style. Crikey, even here in Perth +30 is common. (Anything less is usually just to save upon roofing materials. Is it a heat loss minimising thing (small roof cavity = less heat loss)?

stales

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Newfie photos - 02/14/02 01:58 AM
Great pics. Thanks Bean and Max.

Posted By: Angel Re: Newfie photos - 02/14/02 02:28 AM
Love the pics! Wish I had taken some when we got hit at Christmas! But who wants to see Buffalo under seven feet of snow...again!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Newfie photos - 02/14/02 02:28 AM
AUGH!! That's it--goodbye, family, I'm moving North!!! [jealous as all get-out e]

Posted By: Bean Re: Newfie photos - 02/14/02 01:40 PM
Well, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the photos. The original motivation was so that people in very warm places (such as Perth, Australia! hi stales!) would get an idea of what life is like in the winter here.

Regarding the roof pitch: I agree that our shallow roofs are totally weird. But from what I understand, the snow in St. John's usually melts periodically throughout the winter, so there isn't that much accumulation. These pictures are from last winter (although the snow this year looks pretty much exactly the same), when, much to everyone's surprise, the snow didn't melt at all. Until mid-May. (We actually had flurries in June, but we don't often admit that to mainlanders. You guys are a privileged bunch!) We had problems with the ice build-up on the roof causing leakage by the eaves. Dag and our landlord traipsed around on the roof one day pushing the snow and ice off. And regarding insulation - I think everyone's roof is poorly insulated - we all have crazy icicles hanging off our houses. What a mess!

The traditional Newfoundland house design is known as a "saltbox" house. Here is a link to some photos:
http://www.avalon.nf.ca/~janetmcn/saltboxhouse.html. You can see their roofs have a bit more slope. Another typical design - I don't know what it's called - has just one part to the roof, sloping in only one direction (rather than a peak). And it's usually quite a shallow slope. Looks kind of like half a house.

Posted By: Bean Re: Newfie photos - 02/14/02 02:19 PM
The more it snows (Tiddly Pom), the more it goes (Tiddly Pom)...

The more it goes (Tiddly Pom) on snowing.
(That's just from memory, the whole thing is at http://www.winniethepooh.co.uk/storiesandpoems.html.)

Thanks mav!

© Wordsmith.org