Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow Patriots Win - Sports - 02/04/02 02:18 AM
The New England Patriots - our Boston team - just won the Superbowl on a 48 yard field goal kick by Vinatiari in the last 10 seconds of the game to win over the favored Rams 17 to 20 !
Now *that's* how a Superbowl ought to be won!
Yeeeeeee-HAAAAAaaaaaaaa !

Tom Brady, Patriot quarterback, voted MVP (Most Valuable Player)
Posted By: Keiva Re: Patriots Win - Sports - 02/04/02 02:26 AM
Great game. Truly a Superb Bowl!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Patriots Win - Sports - 02/04/02 02:28 AM
And to make this somewhat word related, isn't it intriguing that the winner is the Patriots and September 11th is now Patriots Day and everyone across America is acting so patriotic.

Makes you think . . . government conspiracy? . . . perhaps . . .

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Champs! - 02/04/02 03:13 AM
CONGRATULATIONS P-A-T-S!!!

You beat me to it Ann, I was just going to PM ya! W-O-W!!!

Great game! Knew the Patriots could do it!

And lemme tell ya, folks in these parts are VERY glad you beat the team that beat the Eagles!

I'm glad for all the Patriot's fans, and for all the folks in New England! PARTY HEARTY!!!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Champs! - 02/04/02 03:17 AM
And lemme tell ya, folks in these parts are VERY glad you beat the team that beat the Eagles!

Yeahbut, just think, the Patriots lost to the Bengals this year.

Also, I thought the Pats were in Hartford.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Champs! - 02/04/02 03:33 AM
>Yeahbut, just think, the Patriots lost to the Bengals this year.

...and the Bengals lost to Tennessee, who lost to the Vikings, who lost to the Lions, who won exactly one game all year -- the Lions rule!!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Champs! - 02/04/02 05:27 AM
Oh, this WAS Superbowl day, then. Um, congratulations, Patriots? Lemme see: you said they played the Rams, right? Did they go to Los Angeles to play? Or maybe the Rams came to...er, New England. Bengals, that's easy: Cincinnati. Tennessee...oh, they're the Volunteers. Lions: Detroit. Eagles...is that a team? Oh, wait--Philadelphia? Oh---no, they're the 76'ers. [shrug]

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Champs! - 02/04/02 06:41 AM
And you people go on about us liking cricket ...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/04/02 07:42 AM
Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Patriots Win - Sports - 02/04/02 01:51 PM
Makes you think . . . government conspiracy? . . . perhaps . . .

My dad started muttering about government payoffs after Kurt Warner fumbled the ball and the Pats almost got a third touchdown.

Great game, but in my opinion the best part of the evening was the U2 concert during the halftime show. [swoon!]

Posted By: wow Re: Champs! - 02/04/02 02:42 PM
And you people go on about us liking cricket

Just one little note, Cap? Please? With the "sports" tag to warn the uninterested off?
... do give us a moment in the sun ... no championship for a New England football team for 42 years! We just can't help being dizzy with euphoria ... I am all atwizzle! And after all they really are a great group of guys!
Jackie : Superbowl is in New Orleans, dear. Ya mean to tell me you didn't root for my team after all those years I've applauded the "Run for the Roses?" sigh.

Miles of smiles to one and all ... what a birthday present! A bit early but I'll take it.
Wanted to place a bet on the Patriots but nobody would cover the bet ...EVERYBODY was rootin' for the Pats! Boston's streets are one big party!

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Patriots Win - Sports - 02/04/02 07:36 PM
And doubtless the Successories people are all over the "who choose to be introduced as a team" aspect...

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Champs! - 02/05/02 03:49 AM
WOW, you may be interested to learn that football fans in Baltimore were pulling for the Patriots, in spite of the fact that it was they who knocked off the Ravens (that "alleged" football team) in the playoffs. But then, all the world loves to see an underdog prevail; it adds immeasurably to the fun. Good on yer, as they say in Oz.

Posted By: hev Re: correct pronunciation - 02/05/02 04:29 AM
Good on yer, as they say in Oz.

Oops ... that would be "Good on ya". Everyone knows we don't use the "r" sound Just thought I would get in befoRe someone else does...

Hev

"friend you haven't met yet..."
Posted By: stales Re: correct pronunciation - 02/05/02 07:28 AM
Hey Hev - I've been training these guys - and I think Bob's Strine accent is coming along nicely!!

Goodonyer bobmeoldmate. Whydoncha sliparound after n we'll slip into a few VB's together.

stales

NOTE: Now I'm really having an identity crisis. You say the Patriots are from Boston? Guess I should be supporting them then hey? What happened to the Red Sox - or the Celts for that matter? I'd root for them but I'm not the one who decides when I'm rooting

Posted By: Sparteye Re: correct pronunciation - 02/05/02 06:35 PM
You say the Patriots are from Boston? Guess I should be supporting them then hey? What happened to the Red Sox - or the Celts for that matter?

Patriots - football
Red Sox - baseball
Celtics - basketball
Bruins - hockey
Eagles - Boston College
Terriers - Boston University

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Patriots Win! - Parade - 02/05/02 07:12 PM
Hope you're in Beantown today, wow, enjoying the parade and festivities!

Posted By: wow Re: Patriots Win! - Parade - 02/06/02 01:37 PM
Hope you're in Beantown today, wow, enjoying the parade and festivities!

Nope ... toooo cold for this old lady! Instead had best seat in the house - in front of my TV where Channel 5 showed the entire celebration - two and a half hours of it! The parade from Boston Common to Government Plaza where (it was estimated) half the population of New England gathered to cheer for the New England Patriots. And not a single incident of rowdyism.
What a day!

Posted By: of troy Re: Patriots Win! - Parade - 02/06/02 01:55 PM
from Wow--. And not a single incident of rowdyism
Yes, every sportscaster i heard commented about it.. Jay Leno had the explaination..
its been so long since a Bean town team actually won a championship of any kind-- the sport fans don't know how to celebrate..They have never seen such celebrations up close. they are at a lose.. they milled about in the Commons.. happy.. but clueless as how to behave.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Patriots Win! - Parade - 02/06/02 09:11 PM
its been so long since a Bean town team actually won a championship of any kind

Droughts: Last pro-team championships, Boston vs. Chicago

football: 2002 Boston: New England Patriots
football: 1986 Chicago Bears

basketball: 1998 Chicago Bulls
basketball: 1986 Boston Celtics

hockey: 1972 Boston Bruins
hockey: 1961 Chicago Blackhawks

baseball: 1918 Boston Red Sox
baseball: 1917 Chicago White Sox
baseball: 1908 Chicago Cubs -- going for the Century Mark!
Posted By: Faldage Re: correct pronunciation - 02/06/02 09:17 PM
Everyone knows we don't use the "r" sound

Doesn't stop you from writing it.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Somethin' Else to Celebrate! - 02/06/02 09:29 PM
Well, wow, since all the celebratin' is windin' down, I thought you'd might like to know that today is Babe Ruth's Birthday! An' we thank ya kindly!

By the way, The Babe was born in Baltimore, and his father's saloon sued to stand in what is now the outfield in Camden Yards.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Babe Ruth - 02/07/02 02:43 AM
WON, you will be amused to hear that there is a life-size bronze statue of the Babe near the entrance to Camden Yards, very handsome, but in the statue the Babe has his glove on the wrong hand! This lapse wasn't noticed until the statue was finished, and then, since it had been cast in bronze ...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Patriots Win! - Parade - 02/07/02 03:42 AM
And this from Letterman tonight!-- "The Patriots had their victory parade and celebration yesterday, and all the Boston Red Sox showed up just to see what it was like!"

(If you see this now, wow...Adam Vinatiari will be Letterman's guest momentarily)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Babe Ruth - 02/07/02 05:37 AM
Thanks for that, Boby! In fact, I went to a Yankees/Orioles game at Camden Yards a couple years back with my brother (Cal Ripken, Jr. single-handedly beat the Yanks that day going 4-4 and almost hit for the cycle!),and we went to the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum, and took a lot of pictures around Camden Yards, including with that statue. But it never occurred to me that the glove was on the wrong hand! Wait'll I tell my brother!

Posted By: Rubrick Aprés match - 02/07/02 02:27 PM
The parade from Boston Common to Government Plaza where (it was estimated) half the population of New England gathered to cheer for the New England Patriots. And not a single incident of rowdyism.

Methinks you speak too soon, wow. Have a look at the following journal from The Irish Times covering the pre-game and the aprés-match. Fantastic stuff! And y'all probably didn't think we followed foreign sports, eh?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2002/0207/3704301514SP3GEORGE.html

Posted By: wow Re: Aprés match - 02/07/02 03:02 PM
And not a single incident of rowdyism.

Methinks you speak too soon, wow

Au contraire, dear Rubrick! That sillyness documented in the Irish Times happened in New Orleans ... NOT in Boston! And the 11 p.m. TV newscasts showed Government Square all cleaned up and nearly empty.
As to the New Orleans goings-on ... well ... don't the Japanese have a saying to the effect that when one travels on vacation manners may be left at home?
Anyway, I'm proud of our Pats! Mr. Kraft, the owner, recognizing the team as the New England Patriots, is planning similar celebrations in each of the New England states. I hope he chooses Portsmouth in NH, as it's just up the road a piece ... but fear the choice will be Manchester. Sigh.

Posted By: Rubrick Pompey delight/Mancunian dread - 02/07/02 03:11 PM
I hope he chooses Portsmouth in NH, as it's just up the road a piece ... but fear the choice will be Manchester.

If the same places were chosen in England your fears would be equally justified!

Posted By: wow Re: Portsmouth - Manchester - 02/07/02 03:49 PM
Ooops! I meant that Portsmouth is just 20 minutes from me, and I know my way around in it ... whereas Manchester is a good hour's drive and a difficult city for me to get around in ... not commenting on the cities themselves but rather on my laziness when it comes to spending hours on the road!

Posted By: musick Who won? - 02/08/02 04:15 PM
Not that I want to screw up a perfectly good sports post Hi, AnnaS with a discussion of "contradiction in terms", but...

Tom Brady, Patriot quarterback, voted MVP (Most Valuable Player)

Excellent game! As a team they did very well, but using the *term MVP to describe this QB's steady but lackluster performance is an insult to the *member who quite clearly made the Most Valuable Play...

Anyone who starts quoting game statistics or 'his' age has "quite clearly" missed the *uprights.

Posted By: maverick Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 04:25 PM
Anyone who starts quoting game statistics or 'his' age has "quite clearly" missed the *uprights.

mmm, that brings up a Ferriner's reflections on most American sports - what's with this apparent national obsession with statistics? and to give a *vaguely language related nudge, why are there always two commentators jabbering away to each other ~ is it a by-product of all the statistics they have to marshal, or do all the statistics flow from having to fill vacant airtime with something other than reflective silence?

Posted By: musick Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 05:28 PM
...why are there always two commentators jabbering away to each other ~ is it a by-product of all the statistics they have to marshal, or do all the statistics flow from having to fill vacant airtime with something other than reflective silence?

It's an *allusion to somehow make all the violence an intellectual endeavor... and the "vacant airtime" thing. One can belabour the obvious for only *so long.

Reflective silence... {insert sound of Homer drooling here}

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 05:42 PM
Y'all've got me wondering: how, then, do announcers of cricket games fill the presumably long stretches of otherwise vacant airtime?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 05:50 PM
It's an *allusion to somehow make all the violence an intellectual endeavor.

Somehow being the key word here with John Madden yapping...he who gave the English language that "brilliant" phrase go-to guy!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/08/02 07:08 PM
Posted By: maverick Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 07:21 PM
whereas fruit cakes sent in by listeners used to be a favoured topic on rainy days in the English commentary box... let it never be said *we let sport get in the way of important stuff

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 07:25 PM
let it never be said *we let sport get in the way of important stuff

Yes, well... I once heard "Boom-Boom" Madden wax eloquent on the subject of ham hocks for several minutes.

Posted By: Keiva Re: broadcasting in slow moments - 02/08/02 07:26 PM
In the 1930's, radio station far from the bid cities would have "live" real-time broadcasts of baseball games. The station's local announcer would take reports off the wire service and, creating as he went, broadcast out as if he were actually seeing the game before his eyes.

Once the wire-service bore down at a crucial juncture of a Cubs/Cardinals game. The broadcaster, stalling for time, improvised wildly -- "He fouls off another pitch!" "The manager is strolling out to talk to the pitcher. He looks worried, folks." -- and seamlessly filled a half-hour of dead-air time. The young broadcaster's name? Ronald Reagan.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/prz_qrr.shtml

Posted By: maverick Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 07:30 PM
several minutes.

minutes?! MINUTES?!!! MINUTES????!!!!!!!

Test Matches go on for five bloody days.....

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 07:54 PM
Test Matches go on for five bloody days.....

Geez. I think I'd need something stronger than fruitcake to get me through that!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Who won? - 02/08/02 08:14 PM
five bloody days

Arright!!! John Madden talking about blood pudding for five days!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Who won? - 02/09/02 12:08 AM
Y'all've got me wondering: how, then, do announcers of cricket games fill the presumably long stretches of otherwise vacant airtime?

If you come over here this (or next) Summer you will see how exciting cricket can actually be. Blink and you could miss some spectacular play!! There are very few stretches between play, btw. Usually fifteen minutes tea in the evening and half an hour lunch during the day.

Afterwards, you, me and Faldage can retire to Mulligan's for scoops, as promised.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Who won? - 02/09/02 06:03 AM
Be fair, Rubrick. (a) Take them to a one-day game. They are not culturally attuned to five-dayers. And (b) take them to a one-day game in Zild or Oz. You may as well show them quality, as well.

Note that a rather weak provincial side in Zild, Northern Districts, walloped the English team this week ... [Shame, shame -e]

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Who won? - 02/09/02 12:37 PM
Note that a rather weak provincial side in Zild, Northern Districts, walloped the English team this week ...

Well, that's not difficult!!!

As for one-dayers. We usually play evening Taverners (20 overs - no lbw, first ball free, retirement at 20 runs, two-overs bowling per player) games after work and the occasional 40-over (proper rules/laws) at the weekend against a GOOD side. The evening games usually last about three hours and can be watched from the pavilion bar - probably the best cricket grandstand in the world! Such is our standard that we usually win the cricket match but come second in the drinking competition afterwards!

We don't have the time for five-day tests, although it would be great to play in the odd one.!!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 01:11 PM
And you people go on about us liking cricket ...

Anybody notice that this thread now has almost as many cricket posts as football posts?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 02:13 PM
almost as many cricket posts as football posts

Ah, let us rejoice in our diversity.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 02:52 PM

And a couple of baseball posts!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 04:09 PM
almost as many cricket posts as football posts

Anyway, they're stumps, not posts!

Posted By: milum Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 04:14 PM
And a couple of baseball posts!

"Are you posting? Yes, you are posting. There's no posts in baseball"

-Tom Hanks, A League of our Own.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 05:11 PM
common ground?

Perhaps we can all meet on common ground, sometime, for a go at that cricket-to-baseball transitional hybrid, towne ball.

But, then, how do we sneak the footballers into this contest?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 05:34 PM
Isn't there an Irish game (called "hurley", I think) which has elements of almost all other ball sports, plus total war, in it? Rubrick?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 05:51 PM
>which has elements of almost all other ball sports, plus total war

you've got to be thinking of 43-man squamish...
http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/quiz_olympics.html

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 06:45 PM
war?

"Baseball is a red-blooded sport for
red-blooded men. It's no pink tea, and
mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a
struggle for supremacy, survival of the
fittest."

--Ty Cobb

"Some guys are admired for coming to play, as the saying goes.
I prefer those who come to kill."

--Leo Durocher

From a site called Old School Baseball http://www.bcn.net/~erbiii/, a tantalizing, must-see surf for any baseball enthusiast!or baseball NUT like me

Cobb also once said: "Baseball is war."

Posted By: Faldage Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 08:19 PM
a couple of baseball posts

And they haven't been posts since the good old days of town ball.

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 09:27 PM
Anybody notice that this thread now has almost as many cricket posts as football posts?

Is that football or football???

Posted By: Angel Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 09:36 PM
you've got to be thinking of 43-man squamish...

This is hysterical, but what are the flippers for?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Champs! - 02/09/02 09:42 PM
Isn't there an Irish game (called "hurley", I think) which has elements of almost all other ball sports, plus total war, in it? Rubrick?

Yep. It's called Hurling and the stick that it's played with is called a hurley so you were almost right. Hurling goes back millenia and was played by the high kings' clans as a martial art which evolved into a sport. The most famous tale told about the sport is the story of cúchulain who, as the young Setanta, slew two wild hounds with his hurley.

Modern day hurling is played between two teams of fifteen and it is reputed to be the world's fastest team sport. To tie in with yesterday's word of the day the best hurling team in Ireland is Kilkenny (it's played between counties) otherwise known as the Kilkenny cats.

I wouldn't know about it having elements of all sports, CapK. It uses a ball roughly the size of a baseball but the stick (hurley) is a unique shape. It is in no way like hockey as the ball is played in the air and NOT on the ground. The field is the same size as a soccer (football) pitch and you can score a goal just like in soccer but you can also score a point just like in rugby/American football by firing over the crossbar. The layout of the field is also unique and, apart from penalties and frees, there are no other similarities with other sports. I've seen a few games and the energy of the sport makes it a frenetic watch but I'd hardly be called an addict. Give me cricket and six nations rugby any day. We seem to be doing quite well in that at the moment, thanks to Wales being completely crap (Sorry, Mav).

Bring on the All-Blacks!!!!!

Posted By: tsuwm 43-man squamish - 02/10/02 01:00 AM
>what are the flippers for?

more germane to the issue at hand, which one's the Dummy?

Posted By: Keiva Re: 43-man squamish - 02/11/02 02:00 AM
Number of posts, in the last week, using the name of various sports:

25 cricket
13 football (following the season's ultimate game)
10 baseball
3 hockey
2 basketball (which, it should be noted, involves "post play")
1 hurling
1 rugby

Gentle sympathies today to poor Sparteye, who had an extemely conflicted day as her beloved MSU Spartans squared off agaisnt her beloved OSU Buckeyes in basketball.

Posted By: wow Re: Champs! - 02/11/02 04:09 PM

Yep. It's called Hurling

The first description I heard of Hurling was "two groups of mad Irishmen, armed with clubs playing a game with few rules."
Sounds like a fun afternoon to me! (said woman of Irish descent - with a big grin!)

Posted By: Keiva Re: Champs! - 02/12/02 04:34 PM
no championship for a New England football team for 42 years!

That's just the period the New England Patriots (current champs) have been in existence.
Last prior pro-football championship for a New England team: Providence Steamrollers, 1928.