Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 01:56 AM
BBC news tonight says Wales is having floods. Maverick, keep your head above water!

Posted By: hev Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 05:06 AM
Although we are not in any kind of crisis situation here in Seed-knee, a colleague of mine wrote this in our little "daily news" based on the kind of weather we're experiencing today and I found it quite amusing. Need some gumboots before I go home ...

"Wet? We saw a Japanese trawler long-lining for tuna on Suspect St (street on which my office is located - it's actually called Sussex St but our work email server doesn't like the last three letters of our street name, and rejects it on every possible occasion) this morning, and during the lunchtime downpour there were waterskiers a bit further down the road. At least that is what they looked like, the visibility was not the best at the time."

All in good humour but on a serious note, trust that Bingley and Maverick are both safe and sound .

Hev

"friend you haven't met yet..."
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/04/02 06:13 AM
Posted By: maverick Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 01:22 PM
thanks Max. But hey, my li'l jalopy's the roadster, just off frame left on that pic, more visible in one of the others. I hear from colleagues today that part of the bridge in one of the pics is actually washed away or damaged quite seriously. That's what you get with this jerry-built rubbish - thrown up in the middle ages then never repaired...

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 03:55 PM
That's what you get with this jerry-built rubbish - thrown up in the middle ages then never repaired...

Yeah, and the French aren't much better. Bring in a top Italian firm to put a good viaduct up in Arles in AD100 and look, nearly 2000 years later it's just junk. Some people just can't keep their eye on the ball for more than five minutes, can they?

Posted By: Keiva Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 04:51 PM
Someone else needs a boat

I have no boat to offer, but I do understand there's a goat (slightly used) available in Humberside.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 06:08 PM
Isn't it just like the young generation to be blaming the preceeding generation for its problems. "my 1000 yr old bridge has washed away, my 2000 yr old viaducts don't via anymore" Whine, whine whine.

Edited for fear of shunned one getting my address

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/04/02 07:14 PM
my 2000 yr old viaducts don't via anymore" Whine, whine whine.

Well, I should be careful what of I whine. I meant aquaduct, actually. Water, water, everywhere did cause the stones to shrink.

Bloody cheap outfit, the Roman army. Couldn't even go good solid granite. Oh hang on, yes they could. Well, then it's the French's fault as I said in the past post (and no, Bill, it's neither a starting nor a finishing post, and you don't have to pip me at it).

Posted By: maverick Re: Someone else needs a boot - 02/05/02 01:44 PM
"But if you're looking long term, we know that with climate change we're going to get long periods of rain, very heavy intensive rain fall.
"We're dealing with this difficult phenomenon of heavy rain on top of saturated soil, and that's going to make a country like Wales more vulnerable in all sorts of places.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/wales/newsid_1801000/1801696.stm

Mr Bush, repeat after me: “Climate change *does matter –we all live in one world. Climate change *does matter….”

Posted By: Keiva Re: Someone else needs a boot - 02/05/02 04:11 PM
I did not see Mr. Bush referenced earlier, or in the link. How did he get into this thread?

Posted By: GimletsHours Re: Someone else needs a boot - 02/05/02 06:16 PM
How did he get into this thread?

praps he bribed a judge?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Bush and the French - 02/05/02 06:24 PM
I did not see Mr. Bush referenced earlier

Nobody complained when the French jumped in uninvited.

the French aren't much better

Posted By: Keiva Re: French and the Bush - 02/05/02 06:52 PM
not so, faldage. The french connection is simply that many roman aquaducts, whose maintenance we were discussing, are located in france and maintained by the french. The Bush connection remains obscure to me.

Edit, to faldage below: See "thrown up in the middle ages then never repaired..." We were talking about structures from the middle ages and in "current" use --- and the same exist in france. QED. Surprised that this is a matter of such concern to you and to our newly-named re-user of the word praps.
Posted By: Faldage Re: French and the Bush - 02/05/02 06:56 PM
Wadn't nobody talkin bout France. They wuz talkin bout Wales.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: French and the Bush - 02/05/02 10:14 PM
... and alluding to Kyoto, of course.

Posted By: stales Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/06/02 03:11 AM
> ...in the middle ages...

Regarded as being the 1870's by us johnny-come-lately's in Oz. (And around 28,000BC by the original inhabitants!)

stales

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/06/02 12:32 PM
Regarded as being the 1870's by us johnny-come-lately's in Oz. (And around 28,000BC by the original inhabitants

Quite a lot of middle ground there, stales ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Someone else needs a boat - 02/06/02 12:44 PM
a lot of middle ground

And shrubs growing and folks abrogating treaties the whole time.