Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/17/01 09:26 PM
Has anyone noticed that we are approaching a posting milestone? Sometime in the next few days someone will post here the 50,000th post since AWADtalk was born.

I predict a posting frenzy (in which I will probably NOT take part and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it, but it does seem like it will be an interesting time in AWADtalk's history.)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/18/01 01:04 AM
Speaking of milestones, I was wondering the other day about AWAD stats...Longest Thread; i.e. Most Thread Replies, Most Thread Pages (now limited to 10 pages and 99 posts, of course!)...all of which I seem to remember being covered at least by consensus (or infamy) in conversation. And I was curious if anyone might know what the record for Most Thread Views is?...I think I've seen some around 1,200 or so ("Nautical Terms?")....I'll search it.

[edit: No..."Nautical Terms", Misc., 4/29/01, topped off at 877 views]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/18/01 04:31 PM
two observations:

1) 50,000 total posts? I wouldn't have noticed that since it seems to require lots of mental summing!

2) as to all the stats WO'N mentions, they would seem to be almost meaningless to keep track of what with all the artificial constraints, redirections, restarts, crossthreads and carping about thread length. :)

Posted By: Faldage Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/18/01 05:33 PM
lots of mental summing

Or a little bit of conceptual detection. Each post has a number associated with it. It is the number at which you should stop when posting a link to that post and it is also the cardinal number of that post. Yours (http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=49442) to which I am replying is 49442. To find how many posts have been posted so far, find the most recent post and go to it. The number is right up there in the url.

Posted By: musick Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/18/01 06:56 PM
Not that I know this as an accurate answer for you WO'N, but I had watched this thread very closely and was not surprised to see it have so many views given the amount of people "involved"...

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=34459

... I think it says a lot about values, not information.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/18/01 08:14 PM
>The number is right up there in the url.

you're right, of course -- I just never noticed it because that much of the url doesn't show up in the AoL (ha!) "Go" window.

Posted By: stales Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/20/01 07:21 AM
I'd like to know how many active members we have.

Why? Well, why not?

PS Whatever happened to Marty? He was an early mentor of mine here and I miss him. Seems to have vanished after I did the first time.

stales

Posted By: Jackie Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/20/01 12:38 PM
PS Whatever happened to Marty? He was an early mentor of mine here and I miss him. Seems to have vanished after I did the first time.

His work got kind of crazy on him. I'm not entirely sure it's settled down enough yet for him to come back, but I'll see if I can't give him a nudge...Thanks. I miss him, too.
He has a wicked sense of humor when he wants to.

Posted By: Keiva Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/22/01 04:07 PM
May I propose that we use the 50,000th post to express our thanks to anu for creating this wonderful forum for us?

To implement that: I have created a new screen name, "Fifty Thousand", for which the password is "50,000". Any one of us can sign on under that name. Post #50,000 can be made under that name, and every one of us can then edit it to had his/her own personal thank you to anu. It will be akin to a thank-you card signed by each of us.

(This, pre-edit, is post #49734. We can watch as 50,000 approaches; whoever posts #49,999 can then immediately re-sign on under the new name to lock in post #50,000.)

(has been edited to give new password)

Posted By: Jackie Re: A milestone (around your neck?) - 12/24/01 01:28 AM
Oh! Then...Keiva, each of us who wants to say anything can just LOG IN and edit that post, so it will be one gigantic one instead of a couple-thirty-dozen separate ones? KEWL! (hi, Max!) It'll be "The Big 50,000th", then, won't it?

Posted By: wow Re: A milestone 50,000 - 12/25/01 01:39 PM
I have created a new screen name, "Fifty Thousand", for which the password is "50,000". Any one of us can sign on under that name.

I have no idea how to do that! When main screen comes up there is no "log in" option.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Log out, then log in - 12/25/01 02:40 PM
wow, the last option on the list above (starting with 'Main Index') is 'Logout.' Click that and then you can log back in.

(since Faldage and I now share a computer, we constantly have to do that. I shudder to think one day he's gonna forget to log in under his own name, and one of his pedantic nitpicking posts will be attributed to me! )

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Log out, then log in - 12/25/01 02:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about that, my dear ASp. Not as long as you stay flatline and I threadnodist.

Posted By: consuelo Re: A milestone 50,000 - 12/25/01 02:47 PM
One thing some of us should probably do before logging out is to change our password to one that will be remembered when it comes time to sign back on. I don't usually log out, either. If you don't know your password, or can't remember where you put it for safekeeping, just change it! You can do that in "Edit Profile". Also, remember to log back out of Fifty Thousand.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 12/25/01 10:01 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Log out, then log in - 12/26/01 04:10 AM
I haven't bothered to log out, since it doesn't seem to make any difference. For the heck of it I totaled numbers of posts shown in Main Index, and got 49339. There seems to be a discrepancy somewhere. But I am not a numerology addict. I don't anticipate any marvelous manifestation at 50K.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 12/26/01 04:36 AM
Posted By: consuelo Re: Log out, then log in - 12/26/01 10:59 AM
Dr. Bill, I know why the number of posts shown on the forum page doesn't match the number assigned to new posts. Every deleted post is subtracted from the posts per forum HOWEVER.....the post number assigned to the deleted post is not reassigned. The discrepancy lies in posts deleted.

Posted By: milum Re: Log out, then log in - 12/26/01 11:51 AM
Dear Wwh, Math doesn't matter. No matter how the number 50 000 is conjured up it represents a remarkable creation. Let's celebrate this achievement.( Darn it wwh now my keyboard wont type commas thanks a lot.)
Milum.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Log out, then log in - 12/26/01 05:23 PM
>No matter how the number 50 000 is conjured up it represents a remarkable creation.

as someone who has generated (this according to the board's own numbering) 6.317% of these, I must heartily disagree with this characterization -- more like regrettable.

p.s. - in flat mode I have no easy way of knowing what post this is, as the number up top is the number of the original post in this thread....
Posted By: Keiva Re: Log INt, then log in; and repeat - 12/26/01 05:26 PM
tsuwm, I trust you will nonetheless continue your regrettable behavior.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Log INt, then log in; and repeat - 12/26/01 06:18 PM
tsuwm, I trust you will nonetheless continue your regrettable behavior.
A hearty second there, mate!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Log INt, then log in; and repeat - 12/26/01 06:49 PM
I'm confused here. Are you guys talking about New Math?

DubDub

Posted By: consuelo Re: Log INt, then log in; and repeat - 12/26/01 09:38 PM
I also figured out how to determine which number is assigned to each post. Click on the poster's name and watch the bar below. Quickly, before it says "Done", it will display the computer giberishthat includes the number of that particular post. If you click on consuelo in this post, you should, see the, number of, this post,(dammit, milum, I found, your commas,) 49,913 or so.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Log INt, then log in; and repeat - 12/26/01 11:36 PM
Actually, you don't have to click or do anything hasty. Just run the mouse pointer over the name of the poster, and the url will be displayed on the status bar. You can leave it there until hell freezes over; the url will remain visible!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Log IN, then log in; and repeat - 12/27/01 12:22 AM
Neither 'suelo's nor CK's version works for me, but they led me to another method. To determine the number of a post, click on the poster's name (thereby bringing up their profile), and then look at the browser window to find the post-number.

btw, I see that others repeated my typo in the "Re" line, suggesting that Res are unread. Shall we conclude that Res are unnecessary, perhaps because [ahem, TEd and F] Res ipsa loquitur?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Log IN, then log in; and repeat - 12/27/01 12:50 AM
Neither 'suelo's nor CK's version works for me
Well, I was going to agree with that, until I realized I had no idea what a status bar is. So I went up to the top of my screen, clicked on View, and...found Status Bar unchecked. So I checked it (oh, THAT's what that is! Address bar I can figure out--the others are just top and bottom.), and hey--he's right! There's the #. Cool.

My computer never shows a "Done". It just changes screens.

tsuwm had posted that his address window wasn't big enough to show the whole URL. Mine isn't either, but I can see both ends if I use the Right and Left arrows. Oh, no! I just stretched the Address window all the way to the left edge of the screen and now I can't get it back from the edge! Wail!

EDIT: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! I decided to try moving the right-hand section of my address bar to the left, and...oh my gosh, my Back arrows, Stop, Undo, Home icons, etc., all reappeared from the RIGHT-hand edge of the screen...and when I kept going, the address window flipped over there, too, just like they were all on a loop of ribbon running behind my screen! Oh my gosh! I am amazed!
(Yeah, yeah, go ahead and chuckle--i deserve it.)

Posted By: consuelo Ken, did you read my post? - 12/27/01 01:12 AM
My post
I also figured out how to determine which number is assigned to each post. Click on the poster's name and watch the bar below.

Your post
To determine the number of a post, click on the poster's name

Baby what I say?Ray Charles

But CapK's way is better, I must say.
Posted By: Keiva Re: of course I did, Connie - 12/27/01 04:00 AM
Yes, 'suelo. We each start with the same click; the difference apparently is:
on your system, a click produces the post number on the status bar (bottom), fleetingly.
on my system, a click produces the post number on the browser window (top), and it stays there.

CK's way is definitely easier, if it works on one's particular system.

Edit, to tsuwm: I'm using AOL.
Re-edit: as to particular browers (at least on my system)
If I access awad though the aol brower, only my method works; CK's and Consuelo's do not.
But CK's easy method works like a charm if I open the Int.Explorer browser, and use it to access awad.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Ken, did you read my post? - 12/27/01 04:04 AM
you guys can rant and rave about all the wonderful features you're finding with your various browsers, but NONE of that works with AoL (ha!).

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Log IN, then log in; and repeat - 12/27/01 07:13 PM
And what was in those brownies, Jackie? Did you ever REALLY look at your thumb?

© Wordsmith.org