Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Capital Kiwi New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/12/01 02:58 PM
Are you guys okay? I know that Helen lives in Queens. Is your family okay?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,592253,00.html

Gives latest reports on this incident, including a map which shows that the crash is, so far as I can judge, some way from where Helen lives. I certainly hope so.

Posted By: wow Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/12/01 04:29 PM
Sent note to Helen (of Troy) to her home Email as she may be home for the Veterans Day Holiday. Just in case I'll also send email to her work.

Posted By: Keiva Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/12/01 05:18 PM
Helen has posted today, within the hour, so I assume all is ok with her. Thank GOD!

http://wordsmith.org/board/dosearch.pl?Cat=&Forum=All_Forums&Words=of%20troy&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts
Posted By: of troy Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/12/01 08:27 PM
Sorry-- i am home today, and posting from my slow as molasses home connection, so i came to this topic late.

Yes, JFK is far a way-- Queens is over 100 square miles-- small for a county but big enough. it is upsetting news, but it has seemed to me, that JFK was long over due for a landing/take off crash. the local population, bought houses and land there because it was cheap and noisy. and once in the area, made a big stink about the noise! so the flight patterns call for steep banks, even as the plane is gaining altitude.. and the opposite, with landing.. the landing/run way lights run out onto a local highway(Belt Parkway) and the road lights are lower, and there are no over head sign.. FAA is afraid they might interfer with planes.. (which is pretty scary when you think about it-- an over head road sign is high enough to interfere with landing gear.. that road is way to close to air port/runway.) but i take the road at least once a month, when i have to work in office in NJ.
Every knows, that JFK one of those airports you avoid if you can, since it is more dangerous than average--

LAG, on the other hand, is much safe, more popular, and has the worst on time performance of any airport in US-- and i bet it make the top 10 in the world. Oh the joys of NY!

JFK is on south shore-- i live on north shoreone of the less fancy areas on the north shore, and inside NYC limits, but far away from JFK --(actually the local highways are pretty good--20 minutes on average.) and Dave (inselpeter) lives and works in Manhattan.

Posted By: stales Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/12/01 11:49 PM
Helen & Dave - Good to hear you guys are safe. Knowing you're there gives all us non-NY'ers a feeling that we're a little closer to the action which, I think it's fair to say, is a feeling none of us like to have.

stales

Posted By: consuelo Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/13/01 01:04 AM
Helen, David
I know my first thoughts were of you. Glad to hear you are safe.

Posted By: Bingley Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/13/01 05:15 AM
Good to hear you and yours are safe, Helen. Has anyone heard from inselpeter recently? It seems a long time since he posted.

Bingley
Posted By: wow Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/13/01 01:35 PM
Whew! Glad to hear you are Ok.

Posted By: Jackie Re: New York - Again. Helen and Inselpeter? - 11/15/01 04:16 PM
I got a message from my lovely insel in the early hours of the 13th, and he did not mention any problems from the crash.

© Wordsmith.org