Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jimthedog Latin (not any translating) - 10/12/01 11:21 PM
Some of you may remember me complaining about my school, paticularly the lack of any foreign language besides Spanish. I have more to add now. My Spanish teacher is going to teach me Latin, and she was trying to find the books she used when she taught it, and, even though the school was supposedly keeping them in storage for her, they tosed the books out. And I'm not the only person who want to learn it. Another person is, and one of my friends says he would if he didn't have trouble as simple a language as Spanish. Why can't they just keep the books?

Posted By: Geoff Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/12/01 11:57 PM
Storage space may be tight, and books for defunct classes, particularly books not of recent issue, are deemed worthless and are eliminated. Keep in mind that schools are run by administrators, NOT educators.

I'm sure that our several Latin scholars can recommend sources for books, and, if you like, I can trot down to Powell's Books (an entire city block of used books here in Portland, Oregon) and pick up a couple of good used Latin textbooks for you.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 12:03 AM
I'd take you up on that, but my dad says we already have 5 quintillion books and don't need more, and I don't know the school's address.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 01:23 AM
Bummer, Sweetie. I think you ought to be able to study Latin if you want to. Do you have any money of your own?
Possibly the teacher would be glad to get a replacement, especially if you offer to split the cost. And most universities offer used books (cheaper) at their bookstores.
This could be a win-win-win situation: your teacher would have a textbook again; you'd get to learn Latin; and your dad wouldn't fuss about another book in the house.
Good luck!

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 01:32 AM
JTD, give me your name & address by PM and I'll send you by mail an extra Latin grammar which I have been saving for years waiting for someone who might need it.

Good luck.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 01:35 AM
Hell, BYB, that's good of you. Must cost a fortune to have that many stone tablets delivered by UPS!

Posted By: Keiva Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 12:01 PM
In my limited experiece, a course-on-CD is a very effective way to learn a modern language, and of course takes up little storage space. Not knowing latin, I can't say whether CD's, if available, would be equally effective for that language.

Posted By: wow Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 12:34 PM
I think "Winnie ille Pooh" (sp?) is still in print and might be a place to start as it appears to be a direct translation so the English version of Winnie the Pooh would be your trot.
Also I believe Powell Books is on line!

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 01:23 PM
byb: I'll see what my Spanish teacher is doing to get books, and then I will see you or Geoff about them. I think she said she'd trick the publishers to give her free books.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 01:58 PM
I think she said she'd trick the publishers to give her free books.
If need be, I hereby propose a modest "AWAD latin-scholarship fund". Since the teacher is donating (her time), why shouldn't we?

PS to JTD: Speaking as a father of college age kids (and presuming you're a bit younger than they). If your dad gives you grief about the excess volume of books,
(1) dump other books of equal of greater volume, and tell him so (gambit: if you don't want to dump them permanently, someone -- your teacher? -- will store them for you)
(2) point out to him that when you appy to college, it will look great on your essay to be able to say that you had the initiative to teach yourself latin; it could well translate into signifiant scholarship funds for college (especially since it will also earn you a sterling recommendation-letter from the spanish teacher). A superb investment.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Latin (not any translating) - 10/13/01 03:20 PM
That actually won't be necessary (point one and two, not the rest). I jumped to conclusions, since my dad said that only once. Since he said that the last time y'all offered me books, I immediately thought what you read. After regaining sanity, I thought that one book and innumeral books are two things apart, and he might let me borrow from one of you if I need it.

On a side note, don't you hate writing things like this? One always try to think of some better way to write it.

Posted By: TEd Remington Latin grammar book on line - 10/16/01 04:36 PM
Jim:

This is an awesome resource:
http://www.hhhh.org/perseant/libellus/aides/allgre/allgre.0.html

There is more about Latin grammar here than most English-speaking people know about English grammar. I took Latin for two years in high school (a couple of years ago!! and then some) and have always considered that and creative writing the two topics of study that shaped my life the most.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Latin (not any translating) - 12/05/01 10:23 PM
I now have a book. My mom's boss gave it to me today. I shall commence lessons as soon as possible.

Posted By: 3.14159265 Re: Latin (not any translating) - 12/05/01 10:57 PM
Salutamus tu, Jimthedog! Liber? Bonus Matris ducis officium! HAIL CAESAR!
(If you're wondering, I am Scott Dombert, aka 3.14159.
I forgot my password and I had to get a new account.)

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Latin (not any translating) - 12/06/01 03:24 AM
Bene, Iacobe-Cane! (tu autem, Pi).

Si auxilium quaeritis, PM mihi.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Latin (not any translating) - 12/06/01 10:53 AM
OK, if I ever need it. I have got some locals who can help me.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Latin (not any translating) - 12/06/01 04:56 PM
How do you say "thank you" in Latin?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Latin (not any translating) - 12/06/01 05:13 PM
gratias ago tibi

© Wordsmith.org