Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow US seeks encrypters - 09/20/01 11:59 AM
For those among the thousands of us here who may have the necessary skills

http://www.iht.com/articles/33090.html

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/20/01 10:13 PM
I notice that Senator Gregg bemoans the fact that federal agencies don't have the power to demand a super-key for all US cryptographic systems. Senator Gregg has clearly forgotten (if he ever knew) that the Internet is international and that no self-respecting terrorist who wants to encrypt his/her instructions to blow things up in the US would use a US encryption system. And, as the article also points out, steganography is much more effective than direct encryption anyway.

And, perish the thought, the reason that investigators haven't identified the messages from bin Laden to his agents that they are so certain must be out there may well be that they simply don't exist.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 09/20/01 10:21 PM
Posted By: Hyla Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/20/01 10:28 PM
ep j hfu uif kpc?

izmb

Posted By: consuelo Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/20/01 10:50 PM
>Do I get the job?
Hyla
Guess not.
Consuelo

Posted By: Keiva Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/21/01 01:05 AM
the reason that investigators haven't identified the messages from bin Laden to his agents ... may well be that they simply don't exist. This seems quite likely.

Gentlemen, if I were to discuss this I'd be opining on something for which I'm unqualified. I simply don't have the expertise to speak at this level of sophistication about encryption systems, practicalities thereof, and the terrorist's use thereof.
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/21/01 05:01 AM
I can see, rereading my post, that I didn't really explain why I made that statement!

bin Laden may be a terrorist, but he's not dumb. The Internet (and email) is not secure. If I were him, and I'm glad I'm not, I wouldn't use any form of communication which I couldn't ultimately control.

Assuming bin Laden is behind the attacks, I would suggest that the immediate leader of the group who carried them out, he who had the go/no go say-so and day-to-day control, was resident in the US at the time. And may, for all I know, still be! The phone is more likely to have been the main means of communication between the various groups.

Posted By: musick Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/21/01 05:30 PM
Lgluy gqnn gwoll fhdw!

PM - me for or with the *answer.

Posted By: consuelo Re: US seeks encrypters - 09/26/01 03:27 AM
154 posts on one thread?[pant-e][pant-e] No wonder it's so hard to dig a big enough hole to bury it.

© Wordsmith.org