Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Friday the 14th - 09/16/01 12:34 AM
This doesn't belong in I & A, but I'm putting it here anyway, to be close to the New York threads.

I have gotten several indications that, at least for people who were not in NY or D.C., this day brought on stronger sadness even than the preceding three days. I'm not sure why--possibly the Day of Mourning, or that individuals' stories are coming to light and thus making the tragedy more personal, or maybe simply that it took that long for it to sink in that this is real. If anyone wants to discuss this phenomenon, fine. If not, fine. I am posting this to say, "If you suddenly found yourself weeping--you were and are not alone".

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Friday the 14th - 09/16/01 12:48 AM
I was amazed to hear on the news that around 10,000 people were in Fountain Square in Cincinnati on Friday. The square is about a quarter of a block and it's pretty much the cultural center of Cincy. There were more people there on Friday than ever before, including when the Reds won the World Series. It's nice to see people caring so much.

Unfortunately, the students here at college seem to be rather indifferent about it.

Posted By: of troy Re: Friday the 14th - 09/16/01 01:15 AM
Jazz, ambivalence is a very strong feeling. all of the play "Hamlet" is about his strong feelings, and unsureness of what to do.
don't think they don't care. if war is declared, it will be you and your school mates that this nation calls on to wage the battle. that is a serious thought to contemplate.

there is no right or wrong way to react to what has happened, each of us, takes our experience, and distils through the filter of our lives.

Monday, i was late getting to work, and on the commuter rail, sat next to two young girls who had just started HS at NY Stuyvesant HS-- which is just about 0.5 miles from the WTC, actually built on the landfill from the excavation for the towers. It has a clearer view of WTC than i did.

our train was delayed, and they got edgy, and i remember telling them, Monday morning, "it's always something, if you are going to do this,(commute) you'll have to learn, there is always a problem." i was lighthearted, and telling the truth, at the same time.

all day yesterday i thought of them. their schedule was such, that they would have been emerging from the subway, a few blocks north, just as the second tower was hit. their route wouldn't have taken them near enough to the towers to be in danger, but they, like me, would have been near enough to see those who fell or jumped.

Monday, they were unprepared for a 5 minute delay on the RR, tuesday, they would have seen a horror. i worry about them. they had trouble coping with a 5 minute delay.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Friday the 14th - 09/16/01 01:36 AM
<<ambivalence is a very strong feeling...>>

!!!

Helen, you are marvelous.

© Wordsmith.org