Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 09/13/01 09:06 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: An addition - 09/13/01 09:29 PM
max, I don't know which of these is more profound.

Posted By: wow Re: An addition-flag pic &Dave Barry - 09/13/01 11:27 PM
Thank you, Max.

Posted By: Jackie Re: An addition - 09/14/01 01:12 AM
That article has me in tears, Max, and I thank you for posting it. Our paper doesn't carry him, to my regret.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: An addition - 09/14/01 01:24 AM
Max, the photo left me stunned and inspired...could be this generation's Iwo Jima picture. Many thanks, kind sir.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 09/14/01 01:26 AM
Posted By: maverick Re: An addition - 09/14/01 09:41 AM
great photo, and a really good column. Indeed, one photo from the same series was used on the UK front pages today in direct apposition to the Iwo Jima pic.

Posted By: Jackie Another addition - 09/14/01 03:03 PM
An editorial cartoon from our paper today. I met the cartoonist at a meeting last year--a very personable young man.
http://www.courier-journal.com/nick/

Posted By: wow Re: From International Herald Tribune today - 09/14/01 03:47 PM
*New security measures are being taken in response to the terrorist
attacks

*Information following the tragedy and its ensuing travel disruptions

*Practical tips in times of travel complications

And many links

http://www.iht.com

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: An addition - 09/16/01 05:59 AM
Thanks, Max. I enjoyed these two articles:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,551086,00.html

http://argument.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/story.jsp?story=93939

Posted By: inselpeter Re: An addition - 09/16/01 12:53 PM
Vernon,

Thank you for posting links to those two articles. Difficult as they are for me to read, I recognize truth in them. A couple of points:

I don't believe revenge has any relation to justice; and binding them in considering a response only insures further injustice.

The writers correctly point out the blindness of the American citizenry to the foriegn policy of its government and the para-foriegn policy of its private sector. Certainly, the financial district is no prairie homestead.

I cannot comment whether the British response is somehow jingoistic.

I cannot help but recognize in the attack against us, the work of the same bigotry and insularity attributed to us in the articles. Nor can I believe that the source of what is worst in the human condition is the United States or its policies.

I concede that acts we have perpetrated on innocents during the course of my lifetime too, have been crimes against humanity. Our foriegn policy needs to be altered radically--at the roots. But I need to ask if one attrocity mitigates another.

Expressions such as these articles assume the existence of justice. But our discourse must not only be *against wrong, but toward justice. I'm not sure we know what justice is, but the weave of our discourse concerning it must not revolve forever arround the terrible, but form a question leading toward what is right.

IP

Posted By: tsuwm Re: An addition - 09/16/01 01:15 PM
>I enjoyed these two articles

while these opinions are certainly worth serious, thoughtful consideration, I don't think I would say that I "enjoyed" them. this word is burdened with connotations of pleasure and satisfaction.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: An addition - 09/16/01 01:32 PM
Thank you, tsuwm, in part for reminding us that not only do words revolve around substance, but substance revolves around words.

IP

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: An addition - 09/16/01 06:22 PM
You are correct, tsuwm, that was a clumsy choice of words. Thank you for pointing that out.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: An addition - 09/16/01 07:00 PM
<<burdened** with connotations of pleasure and satisfaction>>

And...nice to see you haven't lost your sense of humor.
;)

Posted By: satin Re: An addition - 09/17/01 06:51 PM
My daughter sent me this article and with Max's assistance I would like to share it with you.

http://www.miami.com/herald/content/features/columnists/pitts/digdocs/000565.htm

I am still functioning in a state of semi-shock even though it is 6 days later. I lost no one personally in this tragedy and am grateful for Helen's and Ip's safety. I cannot imagine the loss there. Just the thought of it makes me tearful.

I only know that I have a son who will be registering for the draft in the next few months and my first grandchild due in less than four weeks. I pray there will be a solution to this situation that brings satisfaction without destruction of innocent lives like the ones lost here.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: An addition - 09/17/01 07:19 PM
Well, Satin, if I interpret the messages from the White House correctly today, the American response may be more muted, or at least more measured, than it appeared that it might be for the past few days. A cautious ex-general and a politically-save VP are really just what the doctor to the US body politic ordered.

I still find it hard to believe that it's happened. The pictures might well be the opening scenes from a disaster movie. For the sakes of everyone who has lost someone, I wish it were so!

Posted By: inselpeter A longish letter forwarded to me - 09/18/01 03:55 AM
I've deleted the text of the letter here in favor of the URL which my good friend Max supplies in [the next?] post.
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 09/18/01 04:10 AM
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: A longish letter forwarded to me - 09/18/01 05:02 AM
The letter reflects most of the reasons why I believe that America should sit back and think about what it is going to do at length before doing anything at all. Well done, IP.

© Wordsmith.org