Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 11:02 AM
As you begin your college career, our best wishes go with you, and we hope you will stay in touch as often as you can.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 11:03 AM
Yes, Jazzo, best of luck. Do good work. Flourish.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 11:17 AM
and boy-oh-boy, do you have a great group of people to tap into for ideas on the Literature papers you write!

Posted By: rodward Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 12:01 PM
keep your ears, eyes, and brain wide open, and don't be afraid to open your mouth. Be prepared to change both your mind and underwear as circumstances demand. Enjoy,

We Prod a Laundry

Posted By: wwh Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 12:11 PM
The world is your oyster. When you open it, I hope you find a string of pearls. Bill

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 03:04 PM
All the best to our very own Bearcat. Have a terrific time.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 06:57 PM
Salut Jazz. There is no doubt in my mind, and I’m sure in everybody else’s here, that you will be a success in whatever you endeavor to do. Don’t forget to drop us a line every once in a while.

Posted By: of troy Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 07:05 PM
best of everything to you Jazzoctopus. your post might be come less frequent, but will not be less valued.

Posted By: of troy Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 07:06 PM
best of everything to you Jazzoctopus. your posts might become less frequent, but will not be less valued.

Posted By: maverick Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 07:09 PM
Go for everything you can, Jazzo! a great group of people to tap into for ideas on the Literature papers you write... and politics, religion, recipes...

Posted By: nancyk Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/13/01 07:45 PM
Best of luck, Jazz. Thank you for being a reminder that even in time of tragedy, the world must and does go on. New beginnings are all around - make the most of yours!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/14/01 12:55 AM
Sit in the front row
Speak often and well
If you find yourself monopolizing, gradually shift to the back rows
Finally, adopt someone who is struggling for your study partner if you are strong in that subject. You will learn more by teaching. If you are at sea, adopt a strong study partner.
These are the things I learned in school.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/14/01 03:02 AM
JazzO, let me add my very best wishes also. From what I have learned of you, your wide and varied interests, your Scout career which is a wonderful preparation for a young man, your ability to bring humor and careful analysis at the same time to a question, all make me confident that you will benefit greatly from college and join the ranks of truly educated people.

I hesitate to give advice, but I can't resist, not having received the benefit I should have from my own university experience and degree, entirely through my own fault, so:
1. Go for, and insist upon, an education, not just vocational training.
2. Never be satisfied with secondhand information from textbooks, professors' lectures, or other secondary sources when it is possible to go to the original sources, even if this means you have to learn some Latin or German or whatever is needed to access those sources.
3. Take one course each year that has nothing to do with your major or overall plan, just for the fun of it and because it promises to be interesting.

With affectionate wishes and hoping we won't lose slght of you.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/14/01 04:38 AM
All the best Jazzo. Looking forward to hearing how it's all going. When you need a break from it all, remember we're here.

Bingley
Posted By: wow Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/14/01 03:56 PM
You GO! Jazzo.
One thing I learned as a reporter and Editor is this : People love to tell you what they know about. So don't hesitate to pick up a phone, write a letter or Email to the author of the books, experts in any area of study.
And don't forget your parents, grandparents, and old friends... they are living history books. And don't forget us ... we will be here for you.
Best wishes, wow

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/14/01 04:30 PM
Well, once again, you've all said just what I'd like to say, and better than I could have done it.

And from someone who has recently finished the last bit of formal education I'm likely to have for the next 50 years or so, I envy you, JazzO. You're embarking on the greatest adventure ever. If you're as proficient with wood and brick or glass and steel as you are with words, you will succeed.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/15/01 01:16 AM
My, my, what a surprise. How did you know when I was moving in? I just moved into my dorm yesterday and I haven't figured out how to get the network connection to work on my computer so I'm using someone else's. I'm a little apprehensive about the whole thing because I've been so used to having the security and structure of my family life. The last couple of weeks I was working at the kindergarten in my school district. I was mainly working in the office, but the kids started thinking I was a teacher and it was really fun. I even learned a little Croatian to help a boy get accustomed. My last day he was finally running around with the other kids. It was hard to leave this job too because it had become so fun and meaningful. In one summer I went from high school to kindergarten to college. A rather surreal experience.

It's nice to know that I'll have this place as my one constant of familiarity through the whole process of change.

Thanks guys.

Posted By: musick Post deleted by musick - 09/15/01 03:09 PM
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/15/01 08:13 PM
Hey, JazzO, give 'em hell. If you don't, they'll give you hell.

And enjoy it!

CapK

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/16/01 02:42 AM
I know you'll excel in whatever you do, Jazzo! You can make it happen! You're an asset to your generation. And although I think you're an idependent thinker I'll say this anyway...study hard, but keep an open mind, don't ever let anybody think for you! And when it comes to career choice, don't be too practical, follow your heart. I let people talk me out of becoming a paleontologist because they "didn't make any money" back in the 70's)...Huh? What! Best-selling books about new dinosaur theories in the 80's, now a good fossil find brings in millions, they're all over Discovery and The Learning Channel, Jurassic Park, Raising the Mammoth, Neanderthal, etc., etc...so, most importantly, follow your heart.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/16/01 02:54 AM
I think Jazz has it pretty much down pat.

He is a) not afraid to ask questions b) quite articulate and c) open to learning new ideas and things

All important attributes demonstrated here on Board that will be vital in upcoming years.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/16/01 03:03 AM
All important attributes demonstrated here on Board that will be vital in upcoming years.

and I hope it will help me get out of a redundant English class.

Posted By: wow Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/16/01 12:40 PM
hope it will help me get out of a redundant English class

JazzO, dear heart: Don't be so quick to dismiss those classes! OK I saw "redundant" but...
When I was editing newspapers I went to two English professors at least once a month and we went through all the papers I had edited the previous month and they pointed out errors and we had great discussions on English grammar etc.
You're never to old to learn something new or be reminded that something that you'd gotten into the habit of thinking of as correct is really not, but rather is a slipshod usage!

Posted By: maverick Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/16/01 02:54 PM
to old to learn... is a slipshod usage!

[polite cough]

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/16/01 06:15 PM
Don't be so quick to dismiss those classes!

Well, what I really mean is that I took AP English and the score I got only gets me out of two of the 3 required classes and I don't think my score really represents my ability, plus, I've probably learned as much here as in my English class. I just hope that I can show the professor my writing portfolio from the class and tell him/her about this board and possibly get out of the third class.

I don't have any problem with taking another English class. I probably will take some more in-depth honors class, but I don't care to take something that I've already done.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 09/16/01 06:42 PM
Posted By: Bingley Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/17/01 04:42 AM
Jazzo, I don't know what the set-up is at your new university (I don't even know what AP English is) but is there any chance of your fulfilling the requirement by doing a class on the history of the English language and etymology or something like that?

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/17/01 12:04 PM
AP is Advanced Program. Accelerated lessons, more work.
One thing I'm interested in, Jazz-O, if you wouldn't mind:
did colleges really look at whether you were in the AP or not? If not, I'll quit being in such despair that my son had to come out of the AP because the high school he chose doesn't have it. Thanks.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Good luck, JazzOctopus - 09/17/01 04:03 PM
Close Jackie, AP is Advanced Placement. They're not really college classes, but classes that can earn you college credit. You have to take a test at the end of the year and based on your score (1-5) you get credit. Universities have their own standards as to how much credit you can recieve for certain scores. UC gives 10 hours for a 4 or 5 and 5 hours for a 3, I think.

© Wordsmith.org