Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 12:45 PM
[possible humourless rant] Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps this idea of people taking on extra identities is starting to get out of hand? Many strangers take the plunge by asking a question that's been bothering them for months, years, or decades. It may be one that some of us think the answer to is obvious or can be easily found. That doesn't matter: it's their question and gives them a way of plunging into the intimidating-seeming but wonderful group we're building here.

So far, so obvious. My point is if the rest of us have to treat every stranger with suspicion trying to decide whether it's another leg-pull or not, this is not going to help the genuine strangers win acceptance or feel welcome, now is it? Once or twice we can live with, but it's starting to become a habit. [/possible humourless rant]

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 01:04 PM
AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN

Posted By: wow Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 01:19 PM
Enough is enough. You are correct and you are right.

(wandering away with picture of me at 21 which I was gonna' put in the Gallery under a fake name. A silly idea occasioned by my learning to use the scanner Thanks CapK ... {saved from myself, once again, by smarter and cooler head! -e}

Posted By: Vixy Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 06:57 PM
I agree even if I am the trigger of the topic.

Posted By: Vixy Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 07:00 PM
By the way-since my real name is Emily but I hate that name and I like the name Vicki pls. call me Ves.Vicki Emily Sheppard.Ves.

Posted By: Vixy Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 07:01 PM
Ves.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 07/30/01 07:06 PM

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 09:02 PM
Max anglicizes: honey soy key smelly ponce

loose translation: "it's sweet but fetid."

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 09:20 PM
this is not going to help the genuine strangers win acceptance or feel welcome, now is it?

No, it isn't. The whirlwind of activity of trying to keep up with the board is intimidating and confusing enough initially (my first real jaunt here was that endless, weaving "Nautical Thread," so I know!) without the extra confusion of phantom entities going on...good-natured as it is. (and, no "Vixy," please don't resurrect the "Nautical Thread," now) It makes for some fun...but, in the long run, I do think it's more important to encourage new energy to stay.

Posted By: wwh Re: Enough is enough? - 07/30/01 10:03 PM
"smelly ponce" All ponces are smelly.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Enough is enough? - 08/15/01 07:54 AM
While I agree that it must be a traumatic experience for a young person to have their very existence put in question, this can only happen if the virtual presence (and relationships with fellow "phantoms") on the Net is confused with bodily existence. And that would be a truly alarming addictive state.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Genug ist schon genug* - 08/15/01 01:16 PM
Can somebody tell me if J.S. Bach wrote a cantata with that phrase in it?

~~~
*Enough is enough, already

Posted By: Faldage Re: Genug ist schon genug* - 08/15/01 01:31 PM
Can somebody tell me if J.S. Bach wrote a cantata with that phrase in it?

BWV 60 (O Ewigkeit, du Donnerwort)) has the phrase es ist genug.

© Wordsmith.org