Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Anonymous *whew* - 07/17/01 11:19 PM
Anyone else suffer withdrawals??

(feels like a ghost town around here, btw....)

Hellooooooo~oooooooo echo
Posted By: Jackie Re: *whew* - 07/17/01 11:27 PM
Hel-loh-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yep, missed the place all right. Buncha good people here!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 07/17/01 11:35 PM

Posted By: Sparteye Re: *whew* - 07/17/01 11:53 PM
Man, I was taking slugs outta a rubbing alcohol bottle, trying to feed my jones.

Aaaahhhhhhh.

That's better.

Posted By: nancyk Re: *whew* - 07/18/01 12:22 AM
Went directly to "Who's Online," expecting a full house, but obviously the good news has not yet spread! (Or maybe some of us actually have lives.) Won't even mention how many times I checked to see if the site was back. What addiction?

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: *whew* - 07/18/01 12:33 AM
Can't believe the number of dust bunnies under my bed!

Posted By: Jackie Re: *whew* - 07/18/01 12:36 AM
Hi, Nancyk! What addiction, indeed, she types with trembling hands? Do you know, though, this actually does calm my mind, esp. if I've had a frazzling day?
I love you people!

Posted By: Faldage Re: *whew* - 07/18/01 11:38 AM
What?what?what?it'sback?nowwherewasI?

Posted By: Marianna Re: *whew* - 07/18/01 11:41 AM
It's nice to have the board back... Now everyone come back into the wordhouse!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic the wordhouse - 07/18/01 12:18 PM
aka the nuthouse.

Posted By: wow Re: *whew* - 07/18/01 12:32 PM
Oh! the incantations, the burning of sage,the rituals! Blessings on the work of the Webmaster and the Great Wordsmith we are BACK!
I am so happy to have the Board functioning and to be with all of you. Now let us return to the fun of words and the words of fun!!
wow
High Priestess

Posted By: Marianna Re: the wordhouse - 07/18/01 01:15 PM
aka the nuthouse

(H)actually, AnnaS, that WAS my first choice of word

Posted By: wow Re: the wordhouse - 07/18/01 01:35 PM
aka the nuthouse

Do we get to choose what kinda' nut we want to be?
I choose Macadamia! (Rare, delicious, expensive) and if you have to ask, you can't afford me, er, I mean them!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: the wordhouse - 07/18/01 01:44 PM
Was The Professor and the Madman's Dr. William Minor a macademia nut?

Posted By: wow Re: the wordhouse - 07/18/01 02:35 PM
Nah, he never got to Hawaii, Rudyard Kipling on the other hand ....

Posted By: Faldage Re: the wordhouse - 07/18/01 03:03 PM
a macademia nut

The very reason I prefer that pronunciation.

Posted By: rodward Re: *whew* - 07/19/01 09:35 AM
and a 5 minute hiatus in service this morning had me all atwitching again . And the horror of thinking it might just be ME that was missing out...

Rod

Posted By: wow Re: *whew* - 07/19/01 02:55 PM
I've had a few "this page cannot be displayed" this morning and one strange thingame where a post just refused to post itself. Had to close and re-open!
(leaving now to burn sage and purify the airwaves, hope it does some good and this Post posts!)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 01:42 AM
That's scarey! An historic, high-profile site like this...what if...no!...don't think! I'm going through AWAD withdrawal already! W..o..r...d...s...where's...my...words?...I GOTTA have a WORD!!! DO YOU HEAR ME????!

(excerpt from a PM sent from home mail during our oblivion)

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 02:04 AM
And there was silly me thinking that it was just the electrons having a hard job on the wet string in Upper Lower Michigan ...

Posted By: rodward Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 07:05 AM
but I haven't had any e-mail subscription summaries for a while - any one else also suffering from this lack?
I do get the email notifications of private posts and replies, it's just the nightly summaries I'm missing.

Rod

Posted By: wow Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 01:22 PM
it's just the nightly summaries I'm missing.

SUMMARIES ? What sumaries ... am I missing something? ... what is that all about? Something to do with Email? What? What?

Posted By: rodward Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 02:25 PM
In your profile you can subscribe to receive a nightly listing of various topics, which are formatted at about midnight board time and arrive as an e-mail per topic. Because I do my board-surfing at work 9-5 Mon-Fri, UK time (~4-1 board time) I find this a painless way of catching up with the US evening and weekend posts.
But I haven't seen any of the summaries for a while, hence my question.
You can also set your profile to send you an e-mail if you have a private mail on the board and to send an e-mail copy of a reply to your own post. Again, since I have an always open e-mail account this is useful to me. This is still working.

Your mileage may vary.

Rod

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 03:43 PM
I haven't used this summary service. The board server obviously wouldn't have any knowledge about what the discussions are about, so does it just send the first few lines of each post?

Posted By: musick Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 06:16 PM
I find this service very valuable, however, limited.

I come in the morning and see the (full versions) new postings, and read through all of them. Because they are out of context, and unless ones' memory is conditioned to keep more than a couple dozen conversations going on at once (not me), I'll get an idea of what's new in those threads I'm following closely, anything new and exciting, and those that I'm not following I note to read through the thread (in context) when on line. This limits double downloads and makes for faster catch-up...I mean ketchup... I mean catsup...

Do y'all get e-mail notification when someone responds to your post? I like this, especially since the recent "questions" thread made it almost like a chat room!

EDIT - Anyone who responds to the proceeding post could be responsible for a post operative disorder...

Posted By: Anonymous Re: *whew* - 07/20/01 08:35 PM
Do y'all get e-mail notification when someone responds to your post?

nope. nobody ever responds to my posts.

i only get notification when PMs come in (and btw, does anyone else ever get notice of more PMs than are actually in their inbox? i've never gotten more than one "extra" notice at a time, but it's happened several times, and always when there's 4 or 5 queued (could that have something to do with it?).

Posted By: nancyk Re: *whew* - 07/21/01 12:34 AM
nobody ever responds to my posts

And I never (okay, seldom) get PMs. How's about I respond to your post and you send me a PM?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: *whew* - 07/21/01 12:50 AM
Another "quirk" I'm experiencing is that I can't bring up the New Post menu for each topic (i.e. Miscellany) unless I'm logged-out. Is there a way to do this logged-in? Right now I have to open every thread to read the new posts.
Or is this just my lack of cyber expertise confounding me?

Posted By: wow Re: *whew* - 07/21/01 02:58 PM
Strange things are happening ... I had to close down because of a strong lightning storm and when I came back I had to log in ... problem was the server would not accept my password! Had to send for a temp one which I am still using ... at least I think so, as I haven't had to close down since ... Have no idea how to correct this...It was about 10 days ago and although I wrote webmaster for my password confirmation I haven't heard.
"Curioser and curiouser," said Alice!
And if you think I am gonna' start all over as a Stranger ...well... guess again!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: *whew* - 07/21/01 08:48 PM
Strange things are happening

More like Stranger things are happening! Welcome back to earth, O High Priestess! (my, that was a short tenure...but with humility you can rise again!...repeat after me, "the Red Sox are in 2nd place, the Red Sox are in 2nd place...and just click your ruby red slippers!)

Posted By: wow Re: *whew* Red Sox Rule - 07/22/01 03:21 PM
OK, O'Neill ... enjoy it while you can, Yankee Boy!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: *whew* - 07/22/01 03:32 PM
...and just click your ruby red slippers!

Better check with Rhuby on that, I think he holds the copyright now.

Go Cubbies! (whoops, wrong thread.)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: *whew* Red Sox Rule - 07/23/01 12:17 AM
enjoy it while you can

Oops!...just looked in the paper and we're tied for first!..."even as we speak"...guess I spoke too soon, huh?
And, of course, as far as I'm concerned, Ann, your Pooh-Bahhood is well-secured and respected...don't you settle for less!

Posted By: rodward Re: *whew* - 07/23/01 11:13 AM
I lied when I said "summaries". The e-mails are collections of all new posts, one e-mail per "board" (e.g. Miscellany). No censorship, bowdlerisation, summation, just the posts.

But I ask again, is anyone receiving any of these subscriptions at the moment?
Rod

Posted By: Jackie Re: *whew* - 07/23/01 11:49 AM
I lied...

Well, well, Rod, I shall have to bear that in mind!

To answer your question--I checked, and haven't rec'd. any since the 15th. I hadn't missed them because I only subscribe to them in case of emergency (which means any time I can't get to the Board!)
(Just checked my profile, and confirmed that I am indeed
still signed up to receive three of them.)

Posted By: of troy Re: *whew* - 07/23/01 04:20 PM
i haven't gotten my Daily sumaries either-- and i get weird things-- mostly form Caradea-- 20 post this am saying someone had replied to my post-- all from caradea-- and all empty-- either she is delete posts.. or something is screwy-- i had the same problem friday.. I got notifications about other "replies to your post" on both days, and all of them were all real and no duplicates, except for a dozen or so empty one from caradea

there is something special about caradea!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: *whew* Red Sox Rule - 07/23/01 05:25 PM
enjoy it while you can

We're baaaaaaaaack! And I've been meaning to thank you for Mr. Roger Clemens, Red Sox gal!

Posted By: musick Re: *whew* - 07/24/01 08:18 PM
FYI - I just received a summary of summaries. All of the posts since I last received the lists are in one summary for each category.

I'm sure it was part of the original database problem that stopped the server.

Hip, hip, hooray!

Posted By: wow Re: *whew* Red Sox Rule - 07/24/01 08:39 PM
Whitman ONeill : We're baaaaaaaaack!

Me :

Posted By: of troy Re: *whew* Red Sox Rule - 07/24/01 11:42 PM
and just when AWAD starts working again, I out! a nasty little virus is going round-- and our network is under quarrenteen--48 hour of no internet access! and once again-- work has reared its head-- training class to give, training the trainer classes to take, and then more training! and next week family in from overseas.. i suppose this phased in withdrawal is healthier.. i still can come home and log on here.. but access is so slow.. enough to make me start thinking about a DSL or a t1 or cable..

Tout le mond d'accord!!!!

© Wordsmith.org