Wordsmith.org
I've recently had a problem in which some PM postings show blank on the web site after submitting, both to me and the recipient. The text is visible when I click either the Quote or the Edit button, so the message is reaching the web site. Forum tech support tells me it's a computer problem, but at least one person with whom I correspond has encountered the same problem, presumably using a different operating system, computer, and Internet service. If you've had the same problem, please let me know here or by PM. I'd like to try to isolate the source of the problem.
I usually use Google Chrome. But I have seen your blank posts.
I'm not having any problems, Peter.
I remember last year, BranShea had some glitches when posting but I think that was with icons and pictures!
Luke, I don't think it's browser-specific.

Candy, the problem is simple text.

In any case, forum tech support is looking into it, so I hope we can get it cleared up shortly, and that it's not a chronic or wide-spread problem.

Edit: And obviously it hasn't occurred here. I'll try again in PM.
I'm not computer literate enough to understand, Peter,
but I do know I've seen your blank posts. Hope it gets
resolved.
I've been having this problem, too. I use Firefox - I don't know what you use, Peter?

It only seems to happen on long messages - single line or even a whole paragraph gets through, so maybe it is to do with separating paragraphs. I tend to use two LFCRs between paras - maybee it doesn't like that!
So it may be browser-related: I'm also using Firefox. I've passed that tidbit to the tech folks. I had already told them about the two-return hypothesis; that was my first guess at the culprit.
Hmmm. I have also got Google Chrome - I might just try that and see if I have the same problem or not.
Is there by any chance a scroll bar at the bottom of the page? When the post is viewed in threaded mode, it can "go wide". so that the text appears on the far right off-screen and must be scrolled to.
I get that sometimes, especially on advertisings.
Originally Posted By: Rhubarb Commando
Hmmm. I have also got Google Chrome - I might just try that and see if I have the same problem or not.

I've tried it on Chrome with exactly the same result, so it's not the browser.
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Is there by any chance a scroll bar at the bottom of the page? When the post is viewed in threaded mode, it can "go wide". so that the text appears on the far right off-screen and must be scrolled to.

Thanks, but no, there's no scroll bar.
I didn't see one, either.
Nope, no scroll bar here.
Originally Posted By: Rhubarb Commando

I've tried it on Chrome with exactly the same result, so it's not the browser.

Drat...I was sure we had the solution then.

Never mind....when I see 'blank post' I will hit the 'quote key' and look for words smile
I'm posting this for Jackie because she asked me to by PM. Her PM was titled "would you please try posting this for me", but the body of her message was blank. What's going on?
Edit: Posts are also being deleted or disappearing. I am not sure this post is going to last. A couple of my earilier ones were deleted.

Posting this again in case the other one gets deleted.
---
posting this for Jackie because she asked me to by PM. Her PM was titled "would you please try posting this for me", but the body of her message was blank. What's going on?
Edit: Posts are also being deleted or disappearing. I am not sure this post is going to last. A couple of my earilier ones were deleted.
Are faldage, jackie, tsu, jheem just on a holiday all together and all at once? Will this post of mine last?
Avy, I get an empty window too when I send a PM. I hope Candy's quote method works.
All of your posts are coming through to me. No blanks
on this thread, at least.
There's no problem with the posts Luke, it's the PM's.
I already mentioned somewhere that Tromboniator
was having difficulty. I received the posts, but
they were blank. He, however, received mine OK.
Anyone who's having these problems should, I think, click the Contact Us link at the top of the page and describe what happened, whether it was a PM or a forum post, whether you used the Quick Reply window at the bottom of the page ore clicked a Reply/Quote/Quick Reply/Quick Quote button, what web browser you are using, anything you think might be relevant. I don't know who handles technical issues on the site, but they need to know how widespread the problem is becoming and as much about it as possible to diagnose it.

Thanks,
Peter
Thats good advise Peter.

I just tried to answer PM from Bran
I used the 'quote button' to read it as message was blank.
Replying with her quoted message caused it to be blank also.
So I started a new PM (but copied and pasted my previous message) and this didnt work.
Then I typed fresh message....via the 'quick reply'...and blank!
The next attempt, going to full 'reply' worked.

I will send report and hope it helps crazy
The problem is still happening.. though first time for me. I just wrote a PM to Rhuby and it became invisible.
And there was me, holding the screen over the radiator to make the invisible ink stand out! Doh!
They say if you write it in lemon juice it becomes
invisible, maybe the opposite would work on computers.
I know what happens when you put lemon juice (or, in this case, coffee) onto a keyboard.
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
I know what happens when you put lemon juice (or, in this case, coffee) onto a keyboard.

I think coffee has a different make up from lemon juice,
it's been cooked and finds itself around computers more
often than lemon juice. I just know "hidden" messages
were written in lemon juice and held over candles to be
read back in the Middle Ages.
© Wordsmith.org