Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Depravity abounds! - 03/08/01 09:39 PM
I note with sadness that exposure to this Board has turned a medical doctor into an addict, and the same transformation will very shortly occur to an fine, upstanding young man still too young to legally consume alcoholic beverages. This moral corruption must stop, y'hear!

p.s. Congratulations, Bill!

Posted By: wow Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/08/01 10:50 PM
Nice catch, Max. The advancement of Dr. Bill into addict slipped by me.
Congratulations wwh.
Carry on ... Old Hand-hood only 300 posts away!
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/08/01 10:59 PM
As I said before, the Devil makes work for idle hands. Thanks wow and Max. I'll try not to be too obnoxious.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 01:45 AM
I'll try not to be too obnoxious.

Oh, you don't have to try...

Congratulations--I think! I think I will always have difficulty congratulating someone on becoming an addict!

Posted By: jimthedogII Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 10:51 AM
It'll be months untill I'm an addict!

-Scott
Posted By: of troy Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 02:27 PM
Ah, but soon you'll be stranger! though what could be stranger than someone who states they are a dog- when the whole advantage of the internet is "No one knows you're a dog" is beyond me!

Posted By: wow Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 06:41 PM
Speaking of depravity : I love dogs.
Some are eager to please, some are great protectors, some are hard to train, some have a mind of their own, some just want a soft cushion and a warm spot in the sun. Whatever their personality they are all loving and loveable.
As for me : Je baise ma chien sur la bouche
(I think that's the right spelling ... where is Sister Ruth Marie SND {French II} when I need her?)
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 07:34 PM
J'espere que vous brossez les dents du chien, avant de le baisser.

Posted By: wow Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 07:53 PM
Oh, great, Bill!
Just what I need ... a challenge.
Pearl's teeth are brushed regularly.
Did I interpret correctly?
wow

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 08:09 PM
In reply to:

J'espere que vous brossez les dents du chien, avent de le baisser.

Pourquoi? On dit que les chiens ont dans leurs bouches, peu de microbes que les humains.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 08:42 PM
>Je baise ma chien sur la bouche

Goodness wow. You DO NOT want to be saying that. Baise means "make love to." "ma" may be feminine but "chien" is definitely masculine. Sister Ruth Marie would definitely not approve, in any sense of the phrase

Je donne un baiser sur la bouche de ma chienne. I give a kiss to my dog on its mouth. Je donne des baisers sur la bouche de ma chienne. I give kisses to my dog on its mouth.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 09:48 PM
Didn't "baiser" originally denote the act of kissing, though? i know that the contemporary French word for kissing is "embrasser", or has that one been rendered obsolete (or adopted a more prurient connotation) as well?

Posted By: wow Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/09/01 11:11 PM
Baise means "make love to." "ma" may be feminine but "chien" is definitely masculine. Sister Ruth Marie would definitely not approve,

es galore! Thanks for setting me straight. I'd read the other on a T-shirt and thought I'd gotten it right ... looks like the T-shirt writer and I both got it wrong.
My goodness!!!
I'm giving up on phrases in languages other than English unless I have an example in front of me to copy!
{Covering face with cold cloth to subdue embarressed blushes}
wow

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/10/01 03:04 AM
In reply to:

Didn't "baiser" originally denote the act of kissing, though? i know that the contemporary French word for kissing is "embrasser"

As a noun it means A KISS. Usually people say Donner un baiser - give a kiss.

As a verb it means
a) the act of giving a kiss (dictionary definition only. NOT used by population at all)
b) the act of making love (originally classified as vulgar but now part of common speech and generally the only accepted definition).

Embrasser is definitely used to mean giving a kiss, it also means adopting something, someone or some idea wholeheartedly. I believe in France it also means a hug but is not used in this way at all in Québec.For some reason we do not have any word to specifically mean hug in French Québec.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/10/01 03:37 AM
b) the act of making love (originally classified as vulgar but now part of common speech and generally the only accepted definition).

Embrasser is definitely used to mean giving a kiss, it also means adopting something, someone or some idea wholeheartedly. I believe in France it also means a hug but is not used in this way at all in Québec. For some reason we do not have any word to specifically mean hug in French Québec.

No word for "hug" in Québec? Boy, and they say FRENCH lovers work quickly!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/10/01 03:48 AM
No, no, sweetie, they take their time

Posted By: wow Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/10/01 01:05 PM
they take their time
------------------------
Would that be the men? Or the women, Bel ?
wow

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/11/01 02:38 AM
Oh the gentlemen wow, (heavy contented sigh), the gentlemen take their time.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/11/01 03:28 AM
[checking flights to Paris]

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/11/01 03:32 AM
Oh Bridget you should check times to Québec (she says with waaay toooo much wine in her body at moment)

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/11/01 03:39 AM
tequila's my poison tonight... but i'll still refrain from making the obvious joke (though i'm using all my willpower to do so)

something tells me this thread shall be frowned upon by the powers that be....

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/11/01 04:30 AM
something tells me this thread shall be frowned upon by the powers that be....

Why? I'm sure Austin would approve.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Depravity abounds! - 03/11/01 08:41 AM
Bel a dit Oh the gentlemen wow, (heavy contented sigh), the gentlemen take their time.

But ... no hugs, huh? (Couldn't say this in Quebecois French, of course. No such word as hug ...)

© Wordsmith.org