Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Marianna Hoping for an end - 03/24/06 08:29 PM
I realise this may be completely out of place on this board, but I wanted to share the quiet hope and joy that inundates Spain after the permanent ceasefire called by the Basque terrorist group ETA. This may just signal the end of a form of mindless terror that has smothered my country for as long as I can remember.

There's still a long way to go for us in dealing with our internal situation, but there seems to be a brighter hope now. Goodness knows we need it, when there are so many other forms of terror still left to grapple with all over the world.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Hoping for an end - 03/24/06 10:30 PM
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! May we all live in the embrace of peace.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Hoping for an end - 03/24/06 10:37 PM
The occasional "out of place" message on this board, especially one celebrating the prospect of people ceasing to blow one another up, is welcome.

I heard a retired bishop speaking on the subject of peace and he quoted the following:

"When Jesus said, 'Love your enemies,' I think he probably meant don't kill them."
Posted By: Jackie Re: Hoping for an end - 03/24/06 11:51 PM
Mm--yes, we heard today that ETA has never used the word "permanent" before, and that people are optimistic for the first time in...3? or 4? decades. Here's hoping!
Posted By: consuelo Re: Hoping for an end - 03/25/06 12:21 PM
Buena suerte y paz para todos. Abrazos.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Hoping for an end - 03/26/06 04:43 AM
I join you in the hope that the peace will be, and will be lasting.
Posted By: maverick Re: ETA bullet bitten - 03/27/06 01:01 PM
Fantastic news indeed, Marianna.

Let us also celebrate another extraordinary impact by a shy and quiet Irish Catholic priest named Alec Reid, who has also “been described as the inspiration of the Irish peace process.”
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hoping for an end - 03/28/06 08:52 PM
A cessation of hostilities seems like a damn jolly fine idea to me.
© Wordsmith.org