Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Unwanted private messages - 11/30/05 12:54 PM
A friend mentioned the other day that s/he'd received an unwanted PM from a trouble-maker. This friend's solution was to turn off PMs on their [sic] home page. I'm wondering, though -- still not totally familiar with the new software here -- if our friend put just the sender on "Ignore," wouldn't that be better than disabling all PMs? Does the "Ignore" functon also apply to PMs?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Unwanted private messages - 11/30/05 01:06 PM
good question. there isn't anything specific to that in the FAQS, but I haven't checked the ubb site faqs. might be a place to start. it would be nice if Ignore did apply to PMs. much better than a blanket PM on or off.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Unwanted private messages - 11/30/05 02:15 PM
Anna? Post here when you've read this so I'll know; why don't you put me on Ignore, and then I'll try sending you a PM? If you want.

P.S.--checked your e-mail lately?
Posted By: maygodbwidu Re: Unwanted private messages - 11/30/05 04:32 PM
wow!!! unwanted private messages....unlucky me here doesnt recieve any messages,wanted or unwanted..isnt that sad now!!!
Posted By: themilum Unwanted private messages - 11/30/05 09:24 PM
The "ignore" function: Both public and private.

This is what I think.

The "ignore" function can be a useful device in preventing personality conflicts from distracting us away from the common bond around here, which is in general, an impenitent love of words.

But putting someone on your "ignore" list without telling the person that he is being ignored is cowardly and rude.

So be a man...list your ignored people; so if he or she wishes, he or she can ignore in kind.

User traffic seems to be picking up around here, but still I don't think that a small but growing board can stand too much ignoring.
Posted By: maverick Re: bondage, anyone? - 11/30/05 11:01 PM
hmm, interesting view - I must say I thought that when sjmaxq made a song and dance about ignoring you the other day that itself seemed rude to me. I put it down to him having fallen out of bed, having to sleep on his head as he does.

I am a bit uncomforatable about the function at all, but accept what you suggest about "a useful device in preventing personality conflicts from distracting us". I certainly agree with you about the latter point Milo - it needs using with some care if a small community is to maintain enough communal bonds to make it interesting. Let's stay relaxed, guys and guizes.

I suspect the wonderfully strophic one was irked by a more malignant enema of the peep-hole.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 12:52 AM
Quote:

Anna? Post here when you've read this so I'll know; why don't you put me on Ignore, and then I'll try sending you a PM? If you want.

P.S.--checked your e-mail lately?

Jackie, but what if we can't unstick it?*

Pls use my new E-mail addy; for the moment I can't figure out how to access the old one.

----
*remembering what my mom said when I used to think crossing my eyes was funny
Posted By: Jackie Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 01:56 AM
I have put one person on ignore, regretting having to do it at all but I'm sorry, the posts simply drive me up the wall (speaking of what is humor to one person being anathema to another), and I'm sure I remember seeing the option to, um, pay attention to them again. (Well, something like that, anyway.)
If anyone wants to ask, ok by PM; I'm just not going to post it, is all.
I'll try to LU your new address; I was in a hurry this time and just used the first one on my list; sorry.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 02:10 AM
No fair to tease us thatta way, Jackie!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 02:17 AM
Quote:

I'm sure I remember seeing the option to, um, pay attention to them again.

Yup. It's Stop ignoring this user
Posted By: themilum Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 02:19 AM
Just curious Jackie, whom did you decide was driving you up the wall?

And don't you think that he or she should be told that they are the cause of you being so driven?

Like it or not they are human beings too.

Spit it out.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 02:43 AM
Y'all might wanta read a bit more carefully...
Posted By: themilum Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 04:01 AM
More carefully? You said...

"I have put one person on ignore, regretting having to do it at all but I'm sorry, the posts simply drive me up the wall (speaking of what is humor to one person being anathema to another), and I'm sure I remember seeing the option to, um, pay attention to them again. (Well, something like that, anyway.)
If anyone wants to ask, ok by PM; I'm just not going to post it, is all.
I'll try to LU your new address; I was in a hurry this time and just used the first one on my list; sorry."

Now Jackie, (I know you are going to get mad at me) but...when you wrote that... were you drinking?
Posted By: Bingley Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 04:47 AM
I think what Jackie is getting at is that she said the posts were driving her up the wall, not the person.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 04:53 AM
not only, but also: If anyone wants to ask, ok by PM; I'm just not going to post it, is all.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 04:04 PM
Thanks, you two; you know me! :-)
Posted By: musick Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/01/05 09:52 PM
So be a man...

Being ignored can't be half as bad as being defined...
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Unwanted private messages - 12/02/05 01:12 AM
Like Olive said, "I'd rather be pitted than scorned."
© Wordsmith.org