Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve The New Board - 09/27/05 03:56 AM
So whassup with this whole "new board" thing? Who knew this was happening? What is the goal? How will the new board be different from the old board? Is the old board going away? Will our gems be lost to posterity? Once the switchover commences (or, more properly, now that it has commenced), how long before we are new? Will the old URL still work? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: The New Board - 09/27/05 04:07 AM
that little grey/gray box up on top is the extent of my knowledge; but the implication is that any post made before Mon, Sep 26, 6 PM will be carried over to the new board.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: The New Board - 09/27/05 06:46 PM
Well, what e'er it is, it ain't happened yet.

Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Board - 09/27/05 09:33 PM
the implication is that any post made before Mon, Sep 26, 6 PM will be carried over to the new board.

Or either we could argue about whether* "any post made after Mon, Sep 26, 6 PM may not be carried over to the new board" means that they will not be permitted to be carried over or that it is possible that they will not be carried over.

*I.e., discuss the semantic implications.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: The New Board - 09/27/05 10:22 PM
Or there may be a missing period, double dash, or semicolon:

Any post made after September 26 may not be carried; over to the new board!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: The New Board - 09/27/05 11:58 PM
I have nothing further to add, other than to note that those who refrain from posting in the interregnum should be pointed out as only being in it for the glory of posteriority.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The New Board - 09/28/05 12:17 AM
a posting in the interregnum sounds quite painful to me, though perhaps I'm a little behind on things.

Posted By: Jackie Re: The New Board - 09/28/05 01:32 AM
Ohmigawd--y'all're terrible!
So, the new board will look different, you think? It won't somehow look the same but just be different "underneath"?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: The New Board - just in case - 09/28/05 11:53 AM
I copied the birthday thread to my Word program just in case things go screwy and we lose it. Should we copy the language links and tips for newcomers ?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: The New Board - just in case - 09/28/05 12:05 PM
>>should we copy<<

Be worry, don't happy!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The New Board - just in case - 09/28/05 12:37 PM
> should we copy

those shouldn't be a problem, and I'm sure Anu has a backup anyway. it is only popsts that have been made since they began the upgrade that may not get transferred.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The New Board - 09/28/05 08:03 PM
So when will this upgrade have been effectuated? Jackie, you have Anu's ear, don't you?

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: The New Board - 09/28/05 08:21 PM
In reply to:

Jackie, you have Anu's ear, don't you?

Eww, how goghesque!

Posted By: Wordsmith Re: The New Board - 09/28/05 08:41 PM
The current board software is rather old and has many bugs. It's long overdue for upgrade.

We'd anticipated the upgrade to finish quickly but much has changed since this board software was installed and the upgrade ran into problems.

Our software vendor had their main techie away due to sickness which resulted in the delay. Now they're back. We can carry over all postings done until today.

You will not see too many changes in the new board though we'll have a more robust engine under the hood. URL, etc. will remain the same.

Thanks for your patience!

Posted By: Jackie Re: The New Board - 09/29/05 12:59 AM
Thanks, Chief.
And no, Anna, I do not have his ear or any other part of him!

Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Board - 09/30/05 10:12 PM
Hoo-hah
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: The New Board - 09/30/05 10:18 PM
Yes, little by little, we's coming back aline.
Posted By: Wordsmith Re: The New Board - 09/30/05 10:33 PM
Thanks a lot to all of you for your patience!

Looks like we're back now. New and improved board is back.
There are some new features: calendar, poll, etc.

Have fun, and let me know if something doesn't look/work right.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The New Board - 09/30/05 11:47 PM
I GET it. When the little lightbulb is yellow, that means I haven't read something. And, when I read it, the little lightbulb turns white. Clever!
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 01:10 AM
Great new features. Thanks!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 03:39 AM
so I wandered through the edit options at My Home and I didn't see an option for adding to the Ignore List.

did I just miss it, or is this feature not enabled yet?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 09:45 AM
Click on the prospective ignoree's name and you'll find the Ignore option there.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 10:27 AM
Thanks, Anu!
Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 01:24 PM
Is there a way to tell which fora have new posts? Same for threads within fora.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 01:29 PM
from the Main Page, the lightbulbs turn yellow for new posts.
for forums, the folders turn yellow.

if you collapse the section below the fold, supposedly the "plus" (enable) turns yellow for any new post within the section.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 05:08 PM
Okay, NOW I understand the thing about being mantled.
Posted By: RhubarbCommand Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 06:21 PM
Hi there, ev'ybody - I've made it back. Trust me to attempt a comeback when it wasn't possible. As it is, I've had to abandon my old name and come back missing a final "o"

Well - doesn't it all look fine and dandy here? I like the redecoration, and the chance to choose my own colo(u)rs
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 07:39 PM
Maybe the Command(o) can petition the Great and Powerful Anu to add 2204 posts to the new post total, to restore the former (lost) seniority.
Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Board - 10/01/05 07:41 PM
Quote:

Hi there, ev'ybody - I've made it back. Trust me to attempt a comeback when it wasn't possible. As it is, I've had to abandon my old name and come back missing a final "o"

Well - doesn't it all look fine and dandy here? I like the redecoration, and the chance to choose my own colo(u)rs

Welcome home, Rhuby. You're looking mighty fine. All that extra work comes with retirement seems to agree with you.
Posted By: Jackie Re: PM's - 10/01/05 08:55 PM
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
I can tell that I have 3 private messages awaiting me on this board; however, I haven't been able to get to them yet. No matter what I click on, I get "The page cannot be displayed"; even now as I type, I see "Error on page" at the bottom of my window; perhaps that's why I can't get to my PM's or use the Instant things below the reply box.
Anyway, if the person(s) who sent me the PM's see this, you know now why I've not responded.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc UBB code but no buttons - 10/02/05 12:24 AM
Interesting.

I can smile, , and I can make colors, and I can make italics, and I can make bold, and on this new implementation I can even underline! But only if I use the bracket-sequences ( "[-effect-]", only without the hyphens). If I didn't already have some idea of how to make these special effects I'd be grouching, 'cos the buttons don't do anything! (Yet, I trust.)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: UBB code but no buttons - 10/02/05 12:58 AM
my turn to test.

can we do avatars?
Posted By: Jackie Re: warning--again - 10/02/05 01:00 AM
I don't know if this will last, but, as sometimes happened on the old board, twice now here I have previewed a post then tried to change it, and found that my typing had disappeared. Still recommend selecting all then copying before previewing.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: UBB code but no buttons - 10/02/05 05:33 AM
Quote:

my turn to test.

can we do avatars?

Yes please!!
Posted By: Marianna Re: UBB code but no buttons - 10/02/05 06:35 AM
Well, look at us back in our new clothes! Looking good, everyone... [wavey graemlin]

Thanks, Anu.
Posted By: RhubarbCommand Re: The New Board - 10/02/05 09:43 AM
Quote:

Maybe the Command(o) can petition the Great and Powerful Anu to add 2204 posts to the new post total, to restore the former (lost) seniority.

Many thanks for the kind thought, but I really don't give a .. um .. brass farthing for seniority based on quantity. What ever position I may have filled on this board in the past was, I hope, based on quality - the same as is the case for everyone who posts here.

Whilst I've been otherwise occupied, the board has moved on and I note a number of names that are new to me. I would not expect any particular deference on accouint of my "past glories" in which they had no share. I hope they will find me of value as I believe others have before, as evidneced by Faldage's very kind post.

PS (My stars, what a mealy-mouthed-sounding post this has turned out to be! The above really are my sentiments, but I would have preferred to express them in a less sententious manner, really.)
Posted By: RhubarbCommand Re: warning--again - 10/02/05 09:46 AM
Quote:

I don't know if this will last, but, as sometimes happened on the old board, twice now here I have previewed a post then tried to change it, and found that my typing had disappeared. Still recommend selecting all then copying before previewing.

Have you tried scrolling down, Jackie? It isn't very obvious, but below the preview (and out of sight!) is another panel with your message in it, and you can play around with that to your heart's content. I found this out the hard way by doing what you've done!
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The New Board - 10/02/05 01:09 PM
The Commando sez: "The above really are my sentiments, but I would have preferred to express them in a less sententious manner, really.)"

And wwh, in a better day, said: "Wordsmith gives an excellent example of a tragic tendency of English to take a fine complimentary word, and let the meaning drift to a snotty sneer. Der Quibblemeister is shedding great big tears.

sententious (sen-TEN-shuhs) adjective

1. Full of pithy expressions.

2. Full of pompous moralizing."
Posted By: musick Re: The New Board - 10/02/05 03:23 PM
"Okay, NOW I understand the thing about being mantled."

And now you can answer for yourself (crooss-boarding) the question about whether "crooss-thread-mantling" hurts...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The New Board - 10/02/05 06:00 PM
JFTR, I was aware of my unwarranted infringement upon your previous, Fr. Steve, but it appeared as though Faldo missed it; plus I did explicate a bit.

mea minima culpa?
-ron o.
Posted By: nancyk Re: The New Board - 10/02/05 06:07 PM
Over the last couple of days, each time I return to the board, lighbulbs are yellow even though there are no new posts since my previous visit. During the visit, the lightbulbs turn white after I view the posts but the next time I log on - yellow, no new posts????
Posted By: Faldage Re: The New Board - 10/02/05 06:33 PM
Quote:

Okay, NOW I understand the thing about being mantled.

And if you explained it somewhere else there's a real good chance that I never read it.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The New Board - 10/03/05 01:15 AM
Quote:

Over the last couple of days, each time I return to the board, lighbulbs are yellow even though there are no new posts since my previous visit. During the visit, the lightbulbs turn white after I view the posts but the next time I log on - yellow, no new posts????

this has been happening to me today also.
Posted By: consuelo Re: The New Board - 10/08/05 05:50 AM
Caradea is still hosting my chili pepper, I trust? Now if I could only remember the URL, since the one I host on my website doesn't seem to be as stable as hers was. [monain' about my lost avatar-e]
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The New Board - 10/08/05 09:50 AM
if you find a new chili pic you like, Connie, I'll be glad to host it for you. a good google ought to find you one.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Chili peppers - 10/08/05 01:21 PM
You don't need anyone to host it. You can upload it from your own computer.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Chili peppers - 10/08/05 01:32 PM
Anyone know how to add users to your 'friends list?'
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Chili peppers - 10/08/05 01:48 PM
> friends

not sure. I put a bunch of folks in my address book, but not sure that the two are related. seeing as there seems to be cookie and "who's online" issues already, hard to tell.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Chili peppers - 10/09/05 02:18 AM
I don't have any idea. No surprise there.
My owl is taller in real life. I don't know why he gets shorter as my avitar.
I think this will be better to use when I figure out all the keen new widgets.
Posted By: Faldage Re: shrunken owls - 10/09/05 12:32 PM
Quote:

My owl is taller in real life. I don't know why he gets shorter as my avitar.

The Board limits avatar sizes to 80x80. I think it shrinks any dimension that's greater than 80 but leaves any that's 80 or less alone. Was your original something like 100x67?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Chili peppers - 10/09/05 12:48 PM
My owl is taller in real life.

I thought he was just sorta hunkered down.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Chili peppers - 10/09/05 03:07 PM
My owl is taller in real life.

I thought he was just sorta hunkered down.

And ruffled out too...
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Chili feathers or just moulting? - 10/09/05 03:33 PM
I'll trim his frame down when I get home next week, maybe that will help. But maybe he's just trying to keep warm and I should leave him alone.

PS is there a spell check feature here any more? My OED is 250 miles away.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Chili feathers or just moulting? - 10/09/05 05:22 PM
Quote:

PS is there a spell check feature here any more?

Was there ever a spell check feature here?

But, no, Ænigma was given the pink slip and nobody was hired to replace her.