Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Show off words - 02/22/01 08:21 PM
At the zoo, some brats who try to tease big female cats get a disagreeable surprise when they learn the hard way that those cats are:
 Dictionary of Difficult Words - retromingent
www.LineOne.net Reference, Goto Reference goto, home. search, messages, help,
assistant, log out. retromingent. an (animal) urinating rearwards. ...
http://www.lineone.net/dictionaryof/difficultwords/d0011098.html [More results from www.lineone.net]

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Show off words - 02/22/01 08:27 PM
And the resulting mess is (does this belong in coined words?)

putripungent

Posted By: des Re: Show off words - 02/22/01 11:47 PM
Having lived with domestic cats for many years my experience has been it is the male cats who mark their territory by "spraying"...both indoors and outside. Didn't know lady cats would do such a thing!

Posted By: wwh Re: Show off words - 02/23/01 12:37 AM
Dear Des: I have been an ailurophile all my life. But the big cats in the zoos are very different. I saw the kids teasing a big cat, forget its name. That cat had her rump up against the bars, looking over her shoulder, taking aim.When one of the kids tried to poke her with a stick,there was an audible sound of a small amount of urine being ejected under considerable pressure, and that kid began to rub her eyes and scream. The odor alone would have been punishment enough.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Show off words - 02/23/01 02:44 PM
Good for kitty! You go, girl!

Posted By: wow Re: Show off words - 02/23/01 02:58 PM
Zoos which still use bars to contain big cats might have more success in keeping ill behaved and/or cruel people (kiddies and adults) from teasing the animals if they put up signs saying :
"Do not tease the animals,
They can pee all over you"

If you'll bear with a short rant .. I am hugely in favor of the more enlightened "zoos" which give animals roaming room and use deep, wide ditches to keep people and animals separated. To my way of thinking, keeping animals in "cages" is cruel. End rant.
That, as is said, should set the cat among the pigeons.
Perhaps it will get some action on the Non Word Topics Post 'Em Here thread!
Ever yours in hope.
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: Show off words - 02/23/01 03:07 PM
The cage belonged to a small travelling carnival. They also had an auburn pinhead. The kind of oxymoron called a maroon.

Posted By: maverick Re: Show off words - 02/23/01 06:49 PM
use deep, wide ditches...

It's also so much more amusing for the punters

Posted By: wsieber Re: Show off words - 02/26/01 11:16 AM
As for retromingent:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=4774&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post4774

© Wordsmith.org