Wordsmith.org
Posted By: theContrarian idiotism - 07/25/05 08:49 PM
Consider the term(s) idiotism. It can mean a peculiarity of phrase, or idiom. Or it can mean the condition of lacking intellect, or idiocy. Certainly these are widely disparate senses; and each stems from a unique Greek root. But they do share the element "common", in the pejorative sense.

edit: According to the OED, in the 16th C., instances of the word idiot are found with initial n, transferred from an; nidiot was further popularly corrupted to nidget; cf. the modern vulgar pronunciation, sometimes graphically represented as idget.

the Contrarian
Posted By: Jackie Re: idiotism - 07/26/05 01:01 AM
So if a nidiot never leaves home, he's nidicolous?

And, thanks--I have wondered how the term idgit (or however it's spelled) derived from idiot.

Um--in your first sense, how come the word isn't idiomism?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: idiotism - 07/26/05 03:07 AM
Jackie, I'm not sure of this, but it seems that if you get down to specifics, idiom is the form of expression, and idiotism is the manner of expression.

"So what's the difference between form and manner," is heard from the back of the room.

FWIW (a cheap laugh?), the French form of both idiotisms is idiotisme

Posted By: Jackie Re: idiotism - 07/26/05 03:13 PM
So--when I say 'you-all' or 'your-all's', I am ...doing? using? committing?...an idiotism here, because I'm the only one who does it, right? However, were any of you-all to visit 'most anywhere around where I live, you'd hear one or the other everywhere you went.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: idiotism - 07/27/05 12:20 AM
I would call this "idiom", jackie. ANd it reminds me of something my sister told me - she was in a restaurant in Kentucky with a group of friends, and one of the friends remarked to the waiter, "I can hardly understand your accent". Whereupon the waiter smiled and replied "Honey, down here I'm not the one with the accent."

Posted By: Jackie Re: idiotism - 07/27/05 01:04 AM

I'd call it idiom, too, but.

P.S.--See? 'Bout everybody in the South calls people by pet names; so if any of you have thought I was gettin' a mite too familiar--well, it's just SOP.

Posted By: Bingley Re: idiotism - 07/27/05 08:43 AM
Note to self: Jackie's not being familiar, just soppy

Bingley
Posted By: Zed Re: soppy - 07/27/05 06:44 PM

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: SOP - 07/27/05 06:53 PM
I don't get it... what's it stand for?

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: SOP - 07/27/05 07:52 PM
Standard Operating Procedure.

Posted By: plutarch Re: SOP - 07/27/05 08:27 PM
just soppy

re "What does it stand for?"

Standard Operating Procedure Poops Yet-again.

© Wordsmith.org