Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams Twists, Slugs and Roscoes - 02/17/01 11:35 PM
I immediately thought of you all when I found on the web a glossary of slang terms from detective fiction. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.miskatonic.org/slang.html

Cheerfully yours from the VA medical center, home of the free rectal exam,

Alex

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Twists, Slugs and Roscoes - 02/17/01 11:54 PM
thanks, Alex... I meant to post that the other day when I used spondulix as my wwftd.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Twists, Slugs and Roscoes - 02/18/01 01:00 AM
Thanks. This should provide me with some interesting conversation-starters. "If you don't give me those oyster fruits, you bim, I'll put you in a wooden kimono!"

By the way, when I first saw this thread's title, I thought you were doing a take-off of the "Marbles, Reindeer, and Waterfowl" thread.

Posted By: jmh Re: Twists, Slugs and Roscoes - 02/18/01 09:18 AM
>Muggles: Marijuana

Mmmm - Interesting, I wonder if J K Rowling knew about that one!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Twists, Slugs and Roscoes - 02/19/01 09:43 AM
I find it interesting that there are several bits of cant there which are identical to C19 London thieves cant.

e.g., "Lay" - meaning a scheme to obtain money or goods - the example given was "the Gooseberry Lay"

"Goniff" was also in current use at that time, with the same meaning, and not just among the Jewish Community of London's East End.

The only one that I noticed in there which was in use over here in the C19 and is still current among the criminal classes is "Dip" for picking pockets, usually in the form of "dipper", for the exponent of that art.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Twists, Slugs and Roscoes - 02/19/01 06:06 PM
>Muggles: Marijuana

Mmmm - Interesting, I wonder if J K Rowling knew about that one!

Well, you live in Edinburgh. What do those tea/coffee shops sell, and is Edinburgh a sister city to Amsterdam?

Posted By: jmh Re: Muggles - 02/19/01 07:22 PM
>What do those tea/coffee shops sell?

I'd always thought that they sold coffee but perhaps I was missing something!

© Wordsmith.org