Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye I have to admit, he had an excuse ... - 05/17/05 02:33 PM
Heard on the radio today, by an advocate of safety measures to protect against brain injuries:

There is only one cure: prevention.

Posted By: Jackie Re: I have to admit, he had an excuse ... - 05/19/05 03:17 PM
Um--perhaps that was meant ironically?

Hmm--how come in the above word we pronounce the first two syllables eye-ron, but if it's just iron we say eye-urn?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: I have to admit, he had an excuse ... - 05/19/05 06:09 PM
Nope - no irony in the delivery. Just an imprecise grasp of the concept of "cure".

As to irony, I am as likely to pronounce the "iron" part the same as the word "iron" as not. Regardless, the two words don't seem to be related (iron is from prehistoric Gmc word probably of Venetic or Illyrian origin like OIr iarn ... akin to Venetic Isaras, a river; akin to L ira, anger; while irony is from L ironia, from Gk eironeia, from eiron, dissembler).

Posted By: AnnaStrophic iron/irony/ironic - 05/19/05 07:01 PM
Pronunciation of the [r] mostly depends on where the emphasis falls, not is? I think this goes even for the non-rhotic among us.

Edited consonantly
In reply to:

Nope - no irony in the delivery. Just an imprecise grasp of the concept of "cure".

Are you sure? Perhaps it was a deliberate play on the old aphorism. It was pithy and apt. It was also memorable, for most because it's short, and to the point, and to prescriptivists because it "misuses" cure. Either way, it sticks. Maybe that was the intended purpose.

Posted By: Jackie Re: iron/irony/ironic - 05/20/05 02:16 AM
Pronunciation of the [n] mostly depends on where the emphasis falls
I was thinking of the r: how it changes places in ironically from iron and irony. For me, anyway; I say eye-urn and eye-urn-ee, but eye-ron-ih-klee.

Thanks for the background, O Spartan one.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: iron/irony/ironic - 05/20/05 02:49 AM
I like the slogan. Reading it, it seems very straight-forward: you may well not recover from a head injury; many can't be fixed.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: iron/irony/ironic - 05/20/05 09:11 AM
I was thinking of the r

So was I ..

I've gone back and changed it.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: iron/irony/ironic - 05/20/05 09:45 AM
I've gone back and changed it.

I thought you was being ironic like...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: iron/irony/ironic - 05/20/05 11:07 AM
Me? Ironic? I'm an USn. I don't know from irony.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: iron/irony/ironic - 05/20/05 08:19 PM
Me? Ironic? I'm an USn. I don't know from irony.

Oh, I know! I know! It means "kinda like iron"

Posted By: dxb Re: iron/irony/ironic - 06/01/05 03:03 PM
I used to think I understood about irony, but after a lengthy exposure to the self-confessed confusion of US’alls, both here and among my work colleagues, my confidence is ebbing.

“Call that irony!” Tom flattened him sarcastically.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: shushly - 06/01/05 03:16 PM
there are many facets to irony...

Posted By: musick Slowly I turn... step by step... - 06/01/05 07:34 PM
...It means "kinda like iron"

No, that would be "ironish", which is a whole different languidge® in itself.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Slowly I turn... step by step... - 06/03/05 10:19 AM
I think what the speaker meant was there is no cure for brain injury so they must be prevented. Perhaps he is speaking from personal experience, and hence the awkward construction. I didn't even know the President was actively involved in safety awareness.

© Wordsmith.org