Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Misquoted movie quotations - 02/17/05 04:39 AM
Here's a fascinating look at the most misquoted lines that have crept into our language incorrectly from film. And, yet, many are are now a standard part of our phraseology in their altered form. And there's audio clips for reference.

Some are as old as Cagney's "You dirt rat!' and Gary Cooper's "Smile when you say that"; others as recent as Star Trek's "Beam me up, Scotty" nad Star War's "May the force be with you":

http://www.filmsite.org/moments0.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Misquoted movie quotations - 02/17/05 01:17 PM
The one I remember is "Play it again, Sam" perpetuated by Woody Allen. Now I'll go look at your link.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Misquoted movie quotations - 02/17/05 03:27 PM
In addition to the misquote AnnaStrophic mentioned, the other misquotes that spring immediately to my mind are:

“Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!” Misquoted from a line in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (another Bogart film)

“Judy, Judy, Judy!” Cary Grant (never said it)

Now I’ll go look at the sight too.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Misquoted movie quotations - 02/17/05 03:37 PM
I guess this might be there ...he says moving towards the link:

"But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness'... So I got that goin' for me... which is nice." - Bill Murray (Caddyshack)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Misquoted movie quotations - 02/18/05 12:33 AM
How funny! Me Tarzan; you Jane; never said in the movies!

Posted By: Alex Williams we don't need no stinking badgers - 02/25/05 09:26 PM
http://www.darryl.com/badges/

Actually there is a whole web page devoted to the line "We don't need no stinking badges." They confirm or refute the stinking badge reference and if valid provide a verbatim quote. From the Treasure of the Sierra Madre they offer

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

BTW the link provided by WON (greatest film misquotes) is chock full of pop-up windows.
© Wordsmith.org