Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Anonymous totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 03:53 PM
Let me begin with a [hiding from Jackie for breaking the cardinal AWAD rule] emoticon, b/c this really has nothing to do with linguisitics....

I was ICQing with a very bright friend of mine yesterday, and i was lamenting my seemingly insurmountable inability to slow down when i speak. He mentioned that he had the same problem, so naturally we decided it must be an apodictic indication of aristophrenia .

I figured this board would be an excellent forum for testing this theorem..... anyone else have a similar problem?

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon
Posted By: tsuwm Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 04:48 PM
b96 has obviously gotten an early start on her 'nifty' list -- Mrs. Bryne says that aristophrenia is the condition of having a superior intellect.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 05:18 PM
I don't know about the aristophenia, but I too tend to speak too quickly, at least when dictating or speaking in public. I have tried to slow myself down, but after a few sentences, I've worked myself right back up to warp speed again. Since the problem tends to manifest when I have prepared text, I suspect the hurrying is my unconscious mind saying, "you know already, get on with it..."

Posted By: Bean Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 05:23 PM
I also have this speed problem...but often it occurs in everyday speech as well. I sometimes get the words in a sentence in the wrong order; my husband is accustomed to this now and can rearrange or fill in as necessary. Also, when I talk quickly, my enunciation goes down the drain...both my dad and my friends who are not native English speakers find this difficult to understand! (I don't blame them - I dislike it myself - but it's so hard to control!)

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 05:33 PM
I always say that I think too fast for my tongue to keep up properly.

Posted By: maverick Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 05:41 PM
I think too fast for my tongue to keep up properly

Do the ducks complain?

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 06:05 PM
Do the ducks complain?

Nope. They have the opposite problem--they quack (or, in the case of my beloved Muscovy ducks, hiss) too fast for their dear ducky brains to keep up.

P.S. In case any of you are wondering how ducks are relevant to this conversation, check out my profile.

Posted By: of troy Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 06:07 PM
Jean Redpath, the wonderful scot's singer, does some songs of tones (la- di dah ) instead of words-- and she sings them so fast-- it's incredable to hear-- She calls it "mouth music" and complains that her tongue often has trouble keeping up. so i guess you're not the only one!

Posted By: Jackie Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 06:31 PM
A-HAH !
Bridget96, you have not escaped my eagle (evil?) eye!
But, my dear, you have escaped scathing, by me at any rate.
I did try to find an official clue, but the only thing I found by going Home was that AWADtalk is a discussion board.
That it is a language-discussion board is implicit, as far as I can tell. And, my dear, speech does qualify as language in my book. [beneficent smile emoticon]

Jean Redpath
Are you saying that the scots singer is a scat singer?

Posted By: wwh Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/02/01 11:48 PM
Alas, as I have had pointed out to me with painful frequence, my problem is oligophrenia. Please don't all agree in print at once. Bill Hunt

Posted By: Jackie Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/03/01 03:13 AM
my problem is oligophrenia.

Now, I know better than that, my friend!

What does "ICQing" mean?

What does "ICQing" mean?

It's standing waiting for a bus in New Hampshire during the winter. , WOW,

Actually, it's a system you can install on your computer which lets you know when someone you really, really, want to talk to logs on to the Internet. Or, alternatively, it lets you know when someone you want to avoid like the plague logs on. It also lets you chat and do all sorts of other cool things which would be great if only there were enough bandwidth to make it work well.

Have a look at this link which I googled up:

http://www.icq.com/products/whatisicq.html

It explains everything.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/04/01 11:21 PM
ICQ is an instant message program, arguably the most popular (similar to Yahoo's and AOL's, but with more bells and whistles). You can download it at http://www.miribilis.com.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon
Posted By: wow Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/05/01 02:07 PM
This came to me from an old friend.
"Something to put your day into perspective...
If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:
There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
Eight would be Africans
52 would be female
48 would be male
70 would be non-white
30 would be white
70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian
89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual
Six people would possess 59 percent of the entire world's wealth and all six would be from the United States.
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
One would be near death; One would be near birth
One (yes, only one) would have a college education
One would own a computer
Also something to ponder...
If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.
If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75 percent of this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top eight percent of the world's wealthy.
If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada."

Make of it what you will.
wow

Posted By: wow Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/05/01 07:15 PM
Thank you to all the Board members who sent messages regarding "Village of 100" post. Email is on the way to those who requested I send a copy.
wow

"Something to put your day into perspective...

Thanks wow. The one item on the list that reaaly surprised me was the 70% illiteracy rate - I did not know that it was still so high. It reminded me of a thread in a newsgroup I frequent. The participants were scathingly cynical of Bill Gates' motives for his largesse. Only I and one other person pointed out that his motives won't matter to the millions of people likely to benefit from the AIDS vaccination research he is helping to fund.

The one item on the list that reaaly surprised me was the 70% illiteracy rate - I did not know that it was still so high.

And it's even worse outside universities and polytechnics ...

Posted By: BeingCJ Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/05/01 10:34 PM
That's great Makes you think !!

Where / who is the source of the data? (sorry bad sentence) I would like to be able use some of the #'s in a comparison our campus popluation were working on.

CJ
Posted By: maverick Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/06/01 12:39 PM
who is the source of the data

Hey, Carol, you sound interesting - is the door still open, and what floor's it on?

Posted By: wow Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/06/01 01:45 PM
Where / who is the source of the data?

Dear BeingCJ,
I tried to find out for you but I haven't had much success ... as noted it came to me from a friend and when I inquired I learned warmer climes had beckoned for a vacation. Will try again.

Aloha, wow
Posted By: of troy Re: totally off the subject of words.... - 02/06/01 02:24 PM
Its pretty old-- i saw it over ten years ago-- so some of the data might be out of date--

and i suspected it even then-- US is rich but Europe has wealth too, as do other "1st world" countries--and being a femanist--I suspect the 6 richest people (what ever their nationality) are all still male.
It was put out by one of the "green groups"-- to shame american into using less (part of the less is more philosophy)

© Wordsmith.org