Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind I Love Paris - 11/06/04 12:56 AM
Just a heads-up:

If you haven't had the pleasure of listening to Ella Fitzgerald in the Cole Porter collection, please treat yourself. I bought it after seeing the movie about Porter this summer. No, Fitzgerald wasn't included in the sound track to my knowledge. But I wanted to have a big Cole Porter collection and found hers at Tower Records.

Anyway, I've been playing her during free writing in class. I changed to Mozart today and one of my kids asked, "Hey, Ms. Elder, put on that African American lady singing about I love Paris." I just smiled and smiled and smiled. Imagine that. One of my fourteen-year-old hip-hoppers requesting such a laid-back, haunting old love song!

The collection is great, and after having bought the movie sound track this past week and listening to it, I realized I greatly prefer Fitzgerald over the movie.

Posted By: Jackie Re: I Love Paris - 11/06/04 02:07 AM
You can listen to Ms. Fitzgerald here:
http://museum.media.org/ella/misc/listen.html

Speaking of being less than perfect: I'm sorry, but this type of music does absolutely nothing for me; nothing from that (very loosely defined) era does. I'm glad to hear that at least some kids like it, though--it always pays to have your knowledge base expanded.

© Wordsmith.org