Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hyla kepalafuti - 02/01/01 09:22 PM
One of my favorite word formations in any language, this Swahili word (which may sometime be spelled a bit differently, such as kipalafuti) means a rotary, also known as a roundabout or a traffic circle, and probably by a few other names in the English-speaking world.

Any who guess this word's etymology win unlimited private messaging rights, and a haha as well.

Hyla

Posted By: Hyla Re: kepalafuti - 02/01/01 11:42 PM
Don't know, or simply not interested?

A couple of hints:

It's similar to many Japanese words, which take English words and add vowels here and there.

It stems from English influence in East Africa, when they drove sinister.

Posted By: Marty Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 12:02 AM
It's similar to many Japanese words, which take English words and add vowels here and there.

It stems from English influence in East Africa, when they drove sinister.

In that case, I would say it's come from the Swahilization of "keep left" (keep-a-lahf(u)t-i ?).

Should I be correct, would it be improper of me to decline the sunk fence? I would accept a laugh, though.

Posted By: Hyla Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 12:12 AM
Well, that'll teach me to be stingier with my hints among this crowd of logophiles.

Twenty minutes from hint to answer! Nicely done. Despite your protestations, the sunk fence is up - you just can't see it.

Posted By: Marty Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 12:22 AM
>...the sunk fence is up...

Now I'm really disorient(at)ed!

Marty
Down Under

Posted By: Hyla Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 12:30 AM
>...the sunk fence is up...

I noticed this in some horror as I hit send, but felt that I had committed myself, and should let the assembled forum-ers have at it.

On an unrelated note, just stumbled across this site, which has a fun little random word feature. My favorite so far: epispastic.

http://www.celerity.co.uk/words/

Posted By: maverick Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 12:58 PM
Fun site, Hyla! It gave me:

Avulsion

A ripping off or forcible separation, as of a part of the body by injury.
Now I know what my dentist has been practising – avulsion therapy, which judging by the bill is certainly a rip-off

Posted By: Faldage Re: sunk fence - 02/02/01 01:04 PM
I thought you did it on purpose.

Posted By: of troy Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 07:25 PM
Checked out the site and came across ephemeral
This is a seldom used word? not in my croud-- don't know when we started using it but it been in use for a while.

Favorite use: when speaking to any one you think is just trying to placate you with empty promises--
"Verbal promises are ephemeral-- I want your commitment in writing!"

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: kepalafuti - 02/02/01 07:28 PM
ephemeral
An elegant, related, word is ephemeridae, which I have used to good effect talking about yard/garden matters.

© Wordsmith.org