Wordsmith.org
Posted By: mike_jahn Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/16/04 12:00 PM
Hi,

Elsewhere on/in AWAD and several weeks ago, I claimed coinage of the term "heavy metal," an act that dates from my gig as the first rock critic of the New York Times and a syndicated columnist (1967-1974). But that's now what I'm posting about today.

In the New York Times Magazine issue of June 6, 1971, I published a very funny ... well, I thought so, and so did David Frost, for he invited me on his show to talk about it ... article dissecting the hip jargon of the time. It was called "If You Think It's Groovy to Rap, You're Shucking," and I finally scanned it, optical character recognitioned it, and put is up on my noncommercial site, "Tales of the Ancient Rocker."

You might get a kick out of it. It's at www.geocities.com/theancientrocker/rapshuck.html

I don't recall coining anything there. But I am amused by how the term "rap" hasn't changed over the years other than to grow a backbeat and amplification, and how many hip terms of the late 60s/early 70s have endured and passed into the mainstream. Last year an executive of a multinational corporation called me "dude."

Posted By: mike_jahn Re: Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/16/04 12:03 PM
I forgot to mention soem of the words and phrases had fun with in the article -- groovy, heavy, rap, high, stoned, bust, cosmic, where it's at, trip, groove on, hassle, organic, out of sight, outasight, put down, strung out, together, vibrations, vibes, goof on, far out, bummer, shuck, the Planet, get down,
get it on, turn his head around, get into, spaced, wrecked, wasted,
trash, right on, brother, sister, the Third World, power to the people,
the pig, do a number, rip off, grass, marijuana, weed, dope, acid, joint,
smack, toke, roach, roach clip, dealer, pusher, head, freak, dig, gig, truck, jive, dude, cat, and various permutations thereof.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/16/04 09:25 PM
Last year an executive of a multinational corporation called me "dude."

The word is the same but the tone has changed....did he say it in that "stoned surfer-dude" kinda way? Like the turtles in Finding Nemo?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/16/04 09:30 PM
Ranch on!

Farm out!

Outta state!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/16/04 09:31 PM
Crush rocks.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/16/04 09:35 PM
farm out

Posted By: mike_jahn Re: Hip jargon, 1971 - 06/17/04 11:28 AM
re this:

Last year an executive of a multinational corporation called me "dude."

The word is the same but the tone has changed....did he say it in that "stoned surfer-dude" kinda way? Like the turtles in Finding Nemo?

No, he said it with a slight tone of annoyance (because I disagreed with him over something), somewhat in the way another man might call one "pal" if a bit irritated.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: the Hip bone's connected... - 06/17/04 11:40 AM
well, that'll teach you to talk with multinational execs; stick to small business owners, they're much less concerned with being hip...
Posted By: Jackie Re: the Hip bone's connected... - 06/21/04 03:21 PM
Ranch on!

Farm out!

Outta state!

well, that'll teach you to talk with multinational execs; stick to small business owners, they're much less concerned with being hip...

State Farm?

© Wordsmith.org