Wordsmith.org
Posted By: gonoldothrond Wondering... - 02/11/04 07:17 PM
I have seen a few references to Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary in here, but would like to know more. Does anybody use Mrs. B's wonderful book? If so, what is(are) your favorite word(s), at least at the moment?

As for me, I was able to inflict a bit of histeria into my family by revealing to my father that he is a tragic victim of poliosis. (Bonus points to anyone who can actually tell me what that means! )

Posted By: Faldage Re: Poliosis - 02/11/04 07:22 PM
I'm sure there's a couple folks here could handle it without looking it up.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Wondering... - 02/11/04 07:29 PM
Poliosis:

I just used the old gray matter to solve this one. As those who have met me can testify, I suffer also from the condition but I won't use the well-known Athenian treatment.

Posted By: wwh Re: Wondering... - 02/11/04 07:32 PM
Poliosis - Post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis

Alas, no more information than this.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Wondering... - 02/11/04 08:25 PM
I would be reluctant to use Mrs. Byrne as a reference.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Wondering... - 02/11/04 08:46 PM
Wasn't Mrs Byrne the source of that Maaori drum thang, joanzzxywhoozi? And the onliest known source of everybody's fave, epicaricacy?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Wondering... - 02/12/04 04:53 AM
it's because of zzxjoanw that I don't trust *anything in that dictionary; Bailey (1721) is the earliest source for epicaricacy (but spelled epicharikaky) that I've seen, and jheem has questioned its veracity. but still, it's a fun book -- right Wordwind?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Wondering... - 02/12/04 10:18 PM
And who could forget the ever popular...s**t! What was that word again, DubDub? The one that gets you hit with a fish?

edit Cornobbled...but of course! [flat of the hand to the forehead-e]
© Wordsmith.org