Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Flatlander Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 03:51 PM
This might be the best thing ever on the Internet. A Flash-based design tool where you can cut and paste elements of the Bayeux Embroidery (my Medieval Art prof would never let us refer to it as a tapestry) to make your own medieval scenes. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

http://www.adgame-wonderland.de/type/bayeux.php

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 04:08 PM
for those of you on dial-up(like me!), click the link and then go make coffee. or lunch. or write a letter. it's a huge Flash file! can't wait to see it...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 04:15 PM
wow! worth the wait! and I don't even know how to sew!

Posted By: wwh Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 04:43 PM
I had to look up "tapestry" to find out what Flatlander's prof meant. Tapistry has design made in the weaving process. The Bayeux ladies started with a white cloth, and added the pictures by embroidery.
Thanks for that important distinction, Flatlander.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 05:09 PM
Yes, Bill, you've captured the distinction perfectly. Its dimensions are also not what you would expect from a tapestry -- more like a ribbon than a rug -- but that's not the essential difference.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 05:22 PM
Flat, you studied medieval art!? Wow. OK, I'm gonna do what eta suggested: start the loading (not sure if I have the right kind of Flash or not) and then go fix lunch...

Posted By: dxb Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 05:39 PM
It's really good fun to work with, but there doesn't seem to be any way of saving it in order to continue later. I tried several ways, but although you appear to create a file, it will not open. I e-mailed it to myself - hate to think what ads etc that will lay me open to - but only one of the two frames I had done arrived complete and I still can't work on it! Still...

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Bayeux By You - 12/18/03 06:22 PM
Flat, you studied medieval art!?

I did. My undergrad degree is in Art History, and while I focused on the architectural end of things, we did cover the flimsy stuff occasionally. Of course, most extant medieval art is architecture, so it was a great class. The professor (my advisor) was a brilliant British woman with a delightfully prurient mind (the lightswitch plate in her office featured a picture of Michaelangelo's "David" centered strategically so that... well, you get the idea).

dxb - I know what you mean, wouldn't it be great if it were a downloadable program?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: anatomically incorrect David - 12/18/03 08:39 PM
I have that same lightswitch plate!

I gave up on trying to load the site, Flat. But it's bookmarked for the day we get DSL around here...

© Wordsmith.org