Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow Guilty film pleasures - 11/18/03 03:18 PM
C'mon all you guys n' gals! Fess up. We all have them - films that are silly, or outrageous or just pure fun.
I am open to suggestions for films that are so old you have to find them in the "99-cents-for-a-week" rental section of the video store.
Whenever I am feeling blue I pop in "Earth Girls Are Easy" for a dose of laughter and silly fun. C'mon, now. Confess! To start you all off I confess I bought the copy of "Earth Girls Are Easy" that the Video Store had in their "pre-rented" For Sale bin.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/18/03 03:45 PM
Repo Man
Plan 9 from Outer Space [the worst movie ever made?]
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Posted By: vanguard Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/18/03 04:48 PM
To Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar.
Repo Man
Bird Cage
Dirty Dancing
Shirley Temple movies

Posted By: Jackie Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/18/03 04:54 PM
I'd watch a Shirley Temple movie on TV, but probably wouldn't buy one.

The Blues Brothers!
any Star Trek movie
any Arnie action flick
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sister Act

Posted By: musick Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/18/03 10:48 PM
Any Mel Brooks (especially Young Frankenstein)
Any Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and/or Elvis Movie(It's been awhile)
The Animaniacs

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 12:29 AM
Monty Python's Grail and Brian
Blues Brothers
Galaxy Quest(for Trekkies)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 12:39 AM
I finally saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail this past summer and laughed my head off.

I'm a sucker for Night of the Living Dead any night in October.

Extreme guilt: "Folks" with Tom Selleck--and my daughter. Somehow when the two of us watch this not-very-good movie together, we cannot stop laughing.

I would curl up with a rat and watch "White Christmas" any cold night in December, but I'd only feel guilty about the rat and not the movie, so I guess this one doesn't count.

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers--corny stories acted with wit and grace. Love every single one I've ever seen.

I suppose what I feel guiltiest about are the number of horribly made horror movies I've seen, and many of those I've stopped halfway through because I was embarrassing myself to watch them. But driving home weary on a Friday night after a hard week at school, I find it sometimes hard to resist the temptation to stop by the video store and check out a stack of horror movies--ants, rats, scorpions, snakes, demented young men, demented old people, screwed-up hackers and wackers. After staying up late Friday night watching them, perhaps nothing that occurred in the week at school that just went by seems so bad by comparison.

Posted By: maahey Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 01:20 AM
Come on, people!! wow said to 'fess up'! Some of the movies you guys have listed are really nice movies. Monty Python (whichever, whatever, wherever) and Bird cage(Nathan Lane was *brilliant in that movie)indeed! I *like those movies! I am reading wow's post to mean, movies that we would loudly denounce in public but would surreptitiously enjoy. I shall solemnly confess to 'Legally Blonde'.... Laugh all you want, but I still (defiant glare-e) like that movie's spirit, although I will admit it really is one of the silliest movies ever made.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 01:34 AM
In reply to:

silly, or outrageous or just pure fun.

Hey, maahey! You're taking the guilt part too seriously! I sure as heck had more outrageous, pure fun watching the silliness of Monty Python than I had had with any movie in a very long time. The copy I checked out of the public library was so old and worn that I could barely make out the little coconut guy, but I loved him anyway.

But if you wanted, wow, just true confessions and nothing that has been seriously accepted by any group of critics, then "Folks" qualifies as a true confession. Oh, and Shelley Long in this camp counselor movie. That was very silly.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 01:43 AM
I don't know about others, but *I stuck in MP&tHG just to provide some semblance of redemption for my *other choices.

oh yeah, I forgot to list Bruce Willis in Die Hard(s).

Posted By: maahey Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 01:44 AM
Ok, WW, you are probably right. So, I shall now add 'The Thomas Crowne Affair', for pure fun. And there's a Jackie Chan and ?Chris Tucker movie which also has a sequel, that I remember laughing a lot with. Am spacing out on the name of the movie though! Does anyone know what I am talking about? I think it begins with an "H".
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 02:40 AM
Any vintage Woody Allen movie: Annie Hall, Love and Death, Manhattan, Sleeper, etc.

The Producers, Mel Brooks

Angels With Dirty Faces (did Cagney fake his cowardice on the way for the chair for the sake of the kids, or was it real?...one of the most perfectly played scenes in cinematic history..and Cagney took his interpretation to the grave with him, so we'll never know)

The Quiet Man

To Kill A Mockingbird

African Queen

Hitchcock's "Rear Window"

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Time of Their Lives (Abbot and Costello)

Bonnie and Clyde (never get tired of this one)

Jaws (or this one)

The Hustler (Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason)

Mr. Roberts

Miracle on 34th Street

Holiday Inn, White Christmas

Alistair Sims' "A Christmas Carol"

Ocean's 11 (the original)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

All the original horror flicks, Dracula (Lugosi), Frankenstein (Karloff), The Wolfman (Chaney), The Bride of Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.

Invaders from Mars (the original)

Man of 1,000 Faces (Lon Chaney bio starring James Cagney in one of the most brilliant performances of his illustrious career...a wonderful film...if you've missed this one, you're missing a gem, see it immediately)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Hasty Heart

Shane

Field of Dreams

Pride of the Yankees

Posted By: consuelo Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 10:34 AM
Mars Attacks!
EArth Girls Are Easy (I love that one, too, wow!)
Still Breathing (and almost all the other off the wall Brendon Frasier flicksIs that guilt enough?
Like Water for Chocolate
Solo y Caminando por la Calle

There was a movie I saw once in the theater and once on the TV. I can't remember the name of it, but it was animated, humans were pets and wore collars that prohibited them from straying. Some escaped and had formed a society out in the wilds. Can someone tell me the name of this flick?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/19/03 12:28 PM
Bruce Willis in Die Hard(s)

I only saw the first one, but, such creative use of music! The string quartet reduction of the Ode to Joy section from Beethoven's 9th twisted to the ominous as Bruce is crawling through the walls and ceilings of the building. And the ending as Bruce and his new found LA cop friend stand in the pissing-down rain watching the building in its new role of torch to the strains of "the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful…"

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 11:46 AM
I hardly know how to respond to this post, as many others are listing perfectly fine movies as "guilty pleasures" ("Monty Python & the Holy Grail" and "Like Water For Chocolate" for instance). I would include those as fine films I'm proud to have watched. A few guilty pleasures:

That Thing You Do
Ronin
Swamp Thing
Reanimator

Posted By: dxb Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 12:13 PM
Barbarella.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 01:24 PM
Oh, where to begin?

All of the Monty Pythons, of course, plus anything that Terry Gillam has produced. I never get tired of "Every Sperm is Sacred" from "The Meaning of Life". I crease as soon as Michael Palin starts in ...

I love anything that Tarantino does, although I haven't seen the latest one yet. "Pulp Fiction" is probably my all-time favourite movie. I never get tired of its off-beat wackiness and I recently sprung for £10 to buy the DVD.

Marty Feldman in "Every Home Should Have One" is hilarious. "Impromptu" (one of Hugh Grant's earliest) is as funny as a fight. "Shakespeare in Love" is humorously clever to the point of my ribs hurting.

Now for the "rubbish". I love the SF Schwarzenegger flicks. The "Die Hard" flicks. The Steven Siegal flicks. "All The Usual Suspects". Oh, I dunno, you get the picture (sic)!

Posted By: wow Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 01:44 PM
Barbarella! Perfect dxb. I'd forgotten that one.
You, consuelo and maahey are right in the spirit.
You all have some interesting choices but... guilty pleasures? I think not.
The Wong Foo Thanks For Everything drag film is a goodie and I watch it when it's on one of the cable networks. Another one I've watched over and over is "Ghost." Along with "Sister Act" (I like that the murder Whoopi sees is left to the imagination.) Those movies are all good light amusement ... but they're well known and realy don't match "Earth Girls Are Easy." The cast is amazing. Unknowns at the time, all stars now. And the songs by Downtown Julie Brown are a riot!
Can'tcha do better?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 01:47 PM
I gotta put Arnie flicks on my guilty pleasure list. I loved the one where he kidnapped the airlines check-in clerk, played by Rae Dawn Chong, who was one lesson away from her pilot's license (very important, since his character didn't know how to fly the plane he stole later on in the flick). She followed him kick for kick and punch for punch, all in three inch spikes.

But not backwards

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 03:48 PM
...and still I get no credit for Plan 9 or Buckaroo Bonzai; good heavens, do I have to put Attack of the Killer Tomatos? or Ishtar?? actually®, I forgot to list all of the Eastwood/Leone spaghetti westerns (and the samurai movies they were ripped off from).

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/20/03 08:38 PM
tsuwm,
no matter where you go...

one of my favorite movies, too.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/21/03 04:04 AM
I'll never forget Barbarella. I was 12 or 13 years old, and visiting my favorite uncle, an optometrist who joined up and was a Major in the Air Force, at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. Barbarella sounded like an intersting SF movie so he took me out to see it on the base (this was before the rating syustem was installed). Jane Fonda was the first naked lady I ever saw onscreen. My Uncle Fran was a bit embarrassed that he took me after it turned out to be so sexual, but pretty much shrugged it away with a chuckle.

And to add to the list:

Dr. Zhivago

Posted By: dxb Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/21/03 10:08 AM
Then there's 'One Million Years BC'. Though I honestly have no real desire to watch it again, so I guess it's not legit in this context.

Somebody mentioned Rae Dawn Chong who spent most of 'Quest for Fire' with no clothes on. That should ring bells with someone!

Posted By: shanks Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/21/03 07:19 PM
Maahey

Was it 'Rush Hour'?

Wow and others

I'm a sucker for 'rom-coms'. So:

Made in America (lusting after Whoopi Goldberg, would you believe it?)

Clueless (lusting after Jane Austen?)

Addams Family Values (lusting after Joan Cusack. And Christina Ricci is ineffably inscrutable)

Mermaids (Cher, Winona, Christina and Bob Hoskins. What more could you ask for?)

Die Hard (the first was the best)

Under Siege (So what if it's a Die Hard rip-off. You've got, or rather, you have, Steven Seagal, Tommy Lee Jones and Erika Eleniak!)

So these are a few of my favourite films (at least, I'll watch them any time).

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Who you lusting after in this one? - 11/21/03 07:50 PM
Mermaids (Cher, Winona, Christina and Bob Hoskins. What more could you ask for?)

To quote Pfranz, just askin, loike.

Bull Durham

Susan Sarandon, of course!

Posted By: dodyskin Really Dreadful Films - 11/22/03 01:15 PM
I stayed up 'til four in the morning watching The Price Of Beauty. Oh, it was marvellous, it was about a bunny girl who wanted to be the best bunny girl in the world, and as long as she worked hard and Did Her Best she could succeed at anything. There was a morally suspect best friend who dallied with men but was saved in the end by a pretty frock and a good talking to. Bunny girl became bunny mother and went off in a blaze of glory to New York, oh, and she got her man, the humble barman, and escaped the clutches of the feckless playboy. Fabulous stuff. I love it, nearly as good as those made for tv american biopics you get on channel five where there's always a cute child in mortal danger, will s/he survive? Of course they will! God Bless America.

Posted By: Jackie Re: bunny girl - 11/22/03 02:24 PM
Serious question, this time: my first thought was that this is a model for Playboy, but your description of the movie makes me doubt this is right. Could you elaborate, please?

Other movies I like: The Wizard of Oz; Pollyanna; and The World of Henry Orient.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/22/03 03:11 PM
Reefer Madness

And any vintage Marx Brothers!!

Posted By: Faldage Re: bunny girl - 11/22/03 05:49 PM
The Price of Beauty, AKA The Tale of Two Bunnies.

Apparently it *is about Playboy Bunnies.

Viewers' comments:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0224692/usercomments

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Barbarella - 11/22/03 06:04 PM
Yes, Barbarella was a lot of fun. I even bought the LP for it way back in my college years (about 1967-72).
In fact, as a member of Orchesis in college, I choreographed a number from 'Barbarella'--all I remember now is the song had bird calls in the background.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Orchesis - 11/22/03 09:23 PM
What is this, please? I know ICLIU, but it's more fun if you tell me, WW. And does it have a World Cup?

Posted By: Zed Re: Orchesis - 11/24/03 08:28 PM
I love corny or comic sci-fi, Buckaroo Bonzai (always hoped for a sequel), Earth Girls (comic/sci-fi/musical how can it get any better), Fifth Dimention, etc. Also relatively non-gory action films, Jean-claude van Dam (now there's guilt) Bruce Willis, Pierce Brosnan, etc.
funny, I seem to recall bod, er, um, men, er, I mean actors rather than titles.

Posted By: dodyskin contemporary dance - 11/25/03 12:33 PM
In response to the IMDb comments, yes, it is a trite and cheesy film, that's the whole point. I love those American films, they're so earnest. British films of the same B-movie standard are just badly made and embarrassing. I am completely gripped by the US ones though, not in any kind of ironic or postmodern way, just in a sort of shameful, vegebrain way. Ooh, you know what else I love? You know those insanely camp Australian films like Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Strictly Ballroom. But I wouldn't say they were B-movies at all. Actually, I think they're pretty good. I always wanted to be a drag queen, but sadly my assets preclude me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: another guilty pleasure - 11/25/03 01:44 PM
The Town Hall concert performance of The Kiss at the End of the Rainbow by Mitch and Mickey in the PBN broadcast footage in the additional material in the Mighty Wind DVD. Particularly in comparison to their 1960s version.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/25/03 02:19 PM
And the songs by Downtown Julie Brown are a riot!

Just to clarify, WOW, the Julie Brown in EGAE is not Downtown Julie Brown, but the other Julie Brown from MTV in the late eighties/early nineties. Downtown Julie Brown is a black woman (I was going to say African-American, but based on her British accent, I suspect the -American part is inaccurate) who was more a VJ and less a comedian (her catchphrase was "Wubba wubba wubba" for some reason, if that helps).

Ye gods, away from the Board for over a year, and my first post back is clarifying the identities of MTV personalities? Not exactly a triumphant return.

And my guilty pleasure movies include:
In Dreams (a horror flick starring Annette Benning and a thoroughly creepy Johnny Depp)
What Dreams May Come (a panned afterlife film starring Robin Williams -- features the most striking art direction I have ever seen)
Field Of Dreams (the Kevin Costner baseball flick -- the room gets a little dusty when that one comes on)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (my favorite Halloween/Christmas movie)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Flatlander - 11/25/03 04:18 PM
Hey, it's triumphant enough for me! Glad to see your fonts again.

P.S. Do/Can I see a theme in your list?

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Flatlander - 11/25/03 05:58 PM
Do/Can I see a theme in your list?

Not an intentional one, I promise.

Well, they say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/25/03 11:14 PM
>What Dreams May Come (a panned afterlife film starring Robin Williams -- features the most striking art direction I have ever seen)

Welcome back, Flatlandah. Have you seen The Navigator?, another film by (Kiwi) Vincent Ward? It's one of my favourites, visually.

Posted By: Zed Re: contemporary dance - 11/26/03 12:25 AM
I always wanted to be a drag queen, but sadly my assets preclude me.
Dody have you seen Victor/Victoria. You could pretend to be Julie Andrews pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman.
Another Andrews film I love for sheer silly is Thoroughly Modern Millie.

On a tangent I've had the Flying Purple People Eater song running through my head all day. The embarrassing part is how much of it I remember.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/26/03 01:36 PM
away from the Board for over a year
[HUG], my friend!

Posted By: wow Re: Guilty film pleasures - 11/26/03 04:07 PM
Thank you Flatlander - always willing to get the straight scoop!
Was looking for my video copy of EGAE but seems its been misplaced. A search is scheduled for day after Thanksgiving (that's a Friday search for non USns) 'Bout time I straightened out the mess anyway.
And * Welcome * Home * Flatlander *
We missed you!

© Wordsmith.org