Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Scarborough warning - 11/08/03 02:20 PM
A friend just sent me this fascinating look at the old English folk song, Scarborough Fair, rearranged, of course, by Simon & Garfunkle in the 60's. And there was some interesting word lore here. The background of the herb imagery is also especially intriguing.

"Scarborough warning" still means 'without any warning' in today's English.

http://www.geocities.com/paris/villa/3895/

(scroll down to "Explanation of the Lyrics," second paragraph, for the history of the phrase)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Scarborough warning - 11/08/03 03:09 PM
that's a fun read! thanks WO'N!
I have an arrangement of it scheduled for my 5/6 graders to sing next Spring.

Posted By: gift horse Re: Scarborough warning - 11/10/03 05:14 PM
That is really neat. I've always wondered what that song meant. Now I know.

I especially liked these lines:

Love imposes impossible tasks
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Though not more than any heart asks
And I must know she's a true love of mine

How true of love.

Thank you for the link!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Scarborough warning - 11/10/03 07:52 PM
The map information indicates (and I quote):

the Viking settlement in North Yorkshire in the north-west of England became a very important port as the dark ages drew to a close.

However, the map on the page shows that Scarborough was on the north-east coast. What gives? Just an editing error?

Posted By: gift horse Re: Scarborough warning - 11/10/03 08:51 PM
However, the map on the page shows that Scarborough was on the north-east coast. What gives?

Yes. Last I checked Yorkshire was in the North-east of England, so looks like a typo to me. Maybe we could e-mail the people who made the webpage and ask them.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Scarborough warning - 11/11/03 04:23 AM
http://www.find-our-community.net/region/Europe/Western_Europe/UK/Northern_England/North_Yorkshire_map.htm

I meant to respond to this yesterday, but got distracted. This is the neatest link! Thank you, Sweet WO'N! I especially liked the explanation of the symbolism of the herbs.
I don't think I've ever heard the term Scarborough Warning, but I was still interested to read: This is why a 'Scarborough warning' still means 'without any warning' in today's English. Perhaps this expression is more common in Great Britain than here?
This was another surprise: the lieu d'action of the song . To me, it read as though the writer just suddenly switched to French for these words. Is this another common phrase I have been in ignorance of?

Posted By: Bingley Re: Scarborough warning - 11/11/03 04:39 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the expression.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org