Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Money matters - 11/02/03 06:19 PM
I have never been much interested in money, other than wondering how much I could safely spend at any given time. And that may be quite obvious, if everybody but me knows these two terms: specie money, and fiat money. The site I found them on is both clear and interesting; I clicked all over the place, and the only disappointment I had was that the specie money link wasn't there yet. So, if you're looking for something to pass the time, try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Banknotes

Posted By: wsieber Re: Money matters - 11/04/03 11:42 AM
I liked the phrase that in order to qualify for use as money, a commodity had to be "reasonably scarce". - The replacement of specie money by fiat money probably came with the general insight that even the value of gold depends very much on circumstances. Among a crowd of starving people, it is rather useless.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Money matters - 11/04/03 01:27 PM
Paper money, at least, you can eat.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Money matters - 11/06/03 03:10 PM
Paper money, at least, you can eat.

Okay, I have a bunch of five rupee notes left over from my last trip to India. You can eat those if you like. Have you made your funeral plans and your will, yet?

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Money matters - 11/06/03 11:45 PM
I got my first look at the new US $20 bill today. They've added a peach color to it, but it still didn't look very appetizing.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Money matters - 11/07/03 01:12 PM
Paper money, at least, you can eat. Termites are better adapted in this respect, than humans.

© Wordsmith.org