Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Lionised author - 10/07/03 12:15 AM
I think we spoke, perhaps many moons ago, of a wonderful novel called Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. If there is anyone here who has not experienced the linguistic fireworks of this superbly crafted story, you may like to sample the opening chapters. Others may be interested in Russell's commentary...

http://www.bloomsbury.com/Ezine/Articles/Articles.asp?ezine_article_id=646

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 10:31 AM
Argh, I want this book so badly. I have never heard of it before.That's it, I'm going on b/c to look for a bookring.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 10:41 AM
I never figured out whether I liked the story or if it was just the challenge of the language. The only other work of Hoban that I like is the purportedly children's book, The Mouse and his Child.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 02:41 PM
dody, I don't know if Faldage would agree to this but we have a copy: As soon as we find it and I finish it, maybe we could send it to you.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 08:14 PM
maybe we could send it to you.
That would be brilliant, check with the old man first though. I can paypal you the postage. PM me.

Posted By: wow Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 09:48 PM
That is one amazing mind!
I have trouble with plain English never mind being smart enough to make up a whole nuther 1.
Whee hew

Posted By: maverick Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 09:50 PM
maybe we could send it to you.

nonononononononononono.....

yah got tah leave it in a railway station or summat an hope dody happens on by... :)

fwiw, Fong, I think I can understand what you mean but. I did definitely enjoy it (almost more the second time around) and I liked some of his other stuff too (as you might guess from the title lion) ;)

tho' I suspect those others may not wear so well now.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Lionised author - 10/07/03 11:10 PM
I, too, must get this book--the language is dear and true. Every 1 has gone thru Bad Time:

Every 1 knows about Bad Time and what come after. Bad Time 1st and bad times after. Not many come thru it a live.

Better come thru it a live.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Lionised author - 10/08/03 12:11 AM
So ... is a lionised author the same as a tigerised magician?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Lionised author - 10/08/03 12:37 AM
Let's hope not.

© Wordsmith.org