Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Triptyc comments - 09/30/03 09:27 PM
I loved the quote attached with Anu's email today:

Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time in reading it.
Moses Hadas, teacher and author (1900-1966)

Can anyone think of another short saying with three (or more) legitimately implied variant meanings?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Triptyc comments - 10/01/03 01:36 AM
Let's see...how 'bout, "You are so talented--nobody can catch you at embezzling". Though I think that's only two.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Triptyc comments - 10/01/03 02:22 AM
I think Disraeli has prior dibs on this one.

When an aspiring writer would send Disraeli an uninteresting manuscript to review, he liked to reply, "Dear Sir: I thank you for sending me a copy of your book, which I shall waste no time in reading."

From the wikipedia entry on Disraeli: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

Bingley
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Triptyc - 10/03/03 11:57 AM
A Max-worthy pun, mav!

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Triptyc comments - 10/03/03 12:46 PM

A friend of mine who was studying semantics gave the following sentence which his class had discussed:

My hobby is destroying my friends.

k

Posted By: Jackie Re: Triptyc comments - 10/03/03 12:56 PM
My hobby is destroying my friends. Whew--it took me a minute, to come up with something besides the speaker liking to destroy his friends! Yow.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Triptyc comments - 10/03/03 07:28 PM
Sorry to be the dense one here, but I don't get the third meaning in "Dear Sir: I thank you for sending me a copy of your book, which I shall waste no time in reading." I see two: he will read it immediately, and he will not read it because he doesn't want to waste the time required to do so.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Triptyc comments - 10/03/03 07:39 PM
he will read it immediately

Or the time he spends reading it will be well spent.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Triptyc comments - 10/04/03 02:16 PM
how about:
we saw her duck

is that what you mean?

Posted By: maverick Re: Triptyc comments - 10/04/03 10:20 PM
That'll do, duck! And I like the other example too :) Any more? I particularly liked the sly wit of the (disputed origin) saying.

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Triptyc comments - 10/05/03 10:48 PM
Drugstore ad?
When you stop by to fill your prescription, don't forget to pick up something for your small business, and stock up on coke from the pharmacy (chemist) that dispenses with accuracy.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Triptyc comments - 10/05/03 11:56 PM
the pharmacy (chemist) that dispenses with accuracy. Nice to see you back, John!

© Wordsmith.org