Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Spanglish - 09/23/03 11:52 AM
Speaking of creoles, is Spanglish on its way to becoming one?

http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1438900.html

Posted By: Faldage Re: Lonche - 09/23/03 12:33 PM
When I was making a service call at a business in New Jersey (Nueva Llersey) several years back, I discovered that the lunch wagon, serving sandwiches and drinks of various sorts, was refered to as la lonchería.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Spanglish - 09/23/03 03:46 PM
Well, the U.S. does have a great many Hispanics, now. My knowledge of Spanish is pretty well limited to si and gracias, but I understand that the actual usage/pronunciation differs from Mexico to Central America to Cuba, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that a creolized language (see Gurunet) has developed. I remember our discussion here of this phenomenon; I thought it fascinating as a concept, and utterly practical as a conveyance. Here's an example from your site: chopin (TCHO-peen) -- 1. shopping center mall. 2. going shopping. This one caught my eye, because my first mental leap on seeing the word was the composer!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Spanglish - 09/25/03 01:26 AM
Whenever I'm in a situation where I'm speaking with someone else that knows both languages, it's the most natural thing in the world to slide back and forth between Spanish and English and/or Españolify a few English words in the process. I just love Spanglish. It has a certain yo no se qué.

Posted By: Jackie Re: yo no se qué - 09/25/03 01:53 AM
Connie, didn't you mean Je ne sais quoi? [evil grin]

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: yo no se qué - 09/25/03 02:28 AM
No, Jackie, she meant io non so che.

Posted By: Bingley Re: yo no se qué - 09/25/03 04:15 AM
or possibly entah apa.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: yo no se qué - 09/25/03 01:14 PM
Or even eu não sei que.

© Wordsmith.org