Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/24/03 02:16 AM
Congratulations to Australia for winning the Cricket World Cup!

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/24/03 05:45 AM
...a bit like a USn baseball team winning the "World" Series? (I speak as an ex-Brit...)
jj

Posted By: Capfka Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/24/03 10:09 AM
Nope. They won it fair and square. They're just pretty damned good!

- Pfranz
Posted By: Jackie Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/24/03 08:20 PM
Johnjohn, take note: high praise, from a Zilder no less!

Posted By: sjm Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/25/03 12:19 AM
>Johnjohn, take note: high praise, from a Zilder no less!

Nah, there's nothing so unusual about that - it's praise crossing the Tasman in the other direction that last happened sometime just before the Pleistocene era.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/25/03 08:25 PM
Pleistocene? That recently? Somewhere I have it written that it was the Pre-Cambrian. It possibly might have been the Triassic, but you know what those dinosaurs across the Tasman are like when it comes to reading and writing. Sharing the brain-cell, on its own, actually takes more nous that most of them have available ... on a quiet day in Sydney you can sometimes hear the occasional "Phhhhtaph" of a synapse firing. But not very often.

- Pfranz
Posted By: sjm Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 03/25/03 11:50 PM
>Pleistocene? That recently?

Actually, I just picked that one because it sounds similiar to the most complex, sophisticated material known to most Aussies

Posted By: doc_comfort Pleistocene - 03/25/03 11:58 PM
Actually, I just picked that one because it sounds similiar to the most complex, sophisticated material known to most Aussies

Beer?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Pleistocene - 03/26/03 04:59 AM
Plasticine.

- Pfranz
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Pleistocene - 03/27/03 02:44 AM
Plasticine

That's a type of beer, right?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Pleistocene - 03/27/03 03:43 AM
Nope; you'd call it play-dough.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Pleistocene - 03/27/03 10:20 AM
did we just witness a quintuple tongue-in-cheek?

Posted By: Jackie Plasticine toads and pugs? - 03/27/03 12:50 PM
eta, let's buy doc a case of beer and toast his participation in the q-tic!
I looked up plasticine, and the first 2 sites I found quite bemused me. Warning: the first is a commercial site, but I'm putting the link in case anyone wants to verify my quote. Plasticine is one of the most popular names in modelling clays toady.
http://www.hobbycraft.com/plasticine.html

The other has this: This site is about plasticine (plastiline).May be it's not the art. It's rather expression of momentary mood. Puging plasticine you put part of yourself to plasticine lump. And you feel that your mood is changed... Puging? Then at the top, I read We hope you will try to pug plasticine some day : )
http://www.plasticin.net/gallery.htm
Pug?

Posted By: stales Re: Sports post (go, Oz) - 04/01/03 01:18 PM
Thanks Jackie - appreciate you looking out for our interests.

Also thanks to my Trans-Tasman cuzzie for his congratulations. (This is one Auszie who tries to give credit wherever due and, considering the population of Zild, the achievements of most of their international sporting teams is nothing less than extraordinary. That's right - praise from a mainlander!! But it's true.)

BTW and FWIW, the very same Australian cricket team won the "International Team of the Year" award in 2002. They ARE pretty good - rapidly getting to be a latter day cricketing version of the Yanks and the America's Cup.

stales

© Wordsmith.org