Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Postpositively - 02/04/03 01:57 AM
In between swallowing up MSNBC and reading threads here off and on, I wondered about the definition of redux, that appears to be a popular word here.

So, I checked. The MW definition wasn't anything surprising, but I read after the definition: "used postpositively"--and that was a new term for me, so I looked it up, too: placed at the end of another word.

Brought back memories of French I.

Anyway, in spirit fading at this day waning I offer here a term useful for those of us who hadn't known its existence humble.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Postpositively - 02/04/03 04:58 AM
From the entry for postpositive in The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar:

Postpositive position is obligatory for adjectives modifying indefinite pronouns and adverbs (e.g. nobody special, somewhere quiet; in certain set expressions (e.g. heir apparent, the body politic); and with some adjectives in particular meanings (e.g. the members present, the parents involved).

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Postpositively - 02/04/03 12:18 PM
Shoot, and here I was expecting it to be some sort of opposite to prebuttal! ;-)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Postpositively - 02/04/03 12:28 PM
It's still a cool, fancy-schmancy word to toss around...when you're in the mood to do so.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Postpositively - 02/04/03 01:59 PM
It's when you're sure you were right in the first place after everything is said and done and it all came out right.

So, yeah, it sort of is an antonym to prebuttal.

© Wordsmith.org