Wordsmith.org
Posted By: musick Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 04:35 PM
Some of the sounds we make as humans may be utterances, grunts, whinning, wheezing, snorting... and we use those words and others for what animals do... pigs snort, lions roar, ducks quack, blackbirds caw (around here they do). All of these are quite onomatopoetic, but...

'Giggle' is such a general word for many different sounds characterized maybe by "he-he-he" (maybe not).

...what does a moose do? (I don't think I've ever heard one / crossthreading-e).

Posted By: Faldage Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 04:40 PM
what does a moose do?

Depends, is it sick?

Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 04:47 PM
Sick? In what way?

Scream.
Listen to the 'buzz' going on in that room.
Chatter.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 04:51 PM
Moose? Sick?

Never mind.

Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 04:56 PM
Yeah, I got it.

Did you just wake up, F?

Mumbling.
Growling.
Snoring.

Posted By: Bean Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 04:57 PM
but what does a moose do?

Kind of a kahunnnnnggggg, I thought.

Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 05:17 PM
Kind of a kahunnnnnggggg, I thought.

I think you were right, F, it sounds sick, unless I'm pronouncing it wrong. How's that go again, Bean?

Hiccuping
Farting
Belching
(I didn't say they had to come from the vocal chords)

Posted By: wow Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 05:31 PM
Learned in the North woods of New Hampshire from a game warden.
Male moose roar. Especially when in heat. Get away from them, they can be dangerous.
General noise is "bawl." It's ok to park the car on the roadside and watch these (generally) gentle giants munching the underbrush while the tourists take pictures. No flash pictures, please.

Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 05:40 PM
General noise is "bawl."

Does this mean they are 'crying for attention'?

Sniffle
Sneeze
Cough

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 05:41 PM
Male meese go into heat?

Posted By: wwh Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 06:20 PM
Speaking of moose sounds. My father was at a gathering of many deer hunters, when a prank
was played on a guy who claimed to be the best moose caller in Maine. One hunter had phonograph
recorder, very high tech just after WWI. They got the moose caller drunk, and recorded his
demostrations of his call as he got drunker and drunker without his knowing he was being recorded.
A few days later, he was told that they had a recording of the champion moose caller in Michigan,
and wanted his opinion of the Michigander's performance. They played the redording of his calls.
At first he listened with a respectful expression, which changed to a smug smile as the booze
bamboozled his bellows. After the record ended, his pronouncement was: "The last part of that
last call would have scared a moose to Jesus!"

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 06:44 PM
Hmmm, musick...why do I feel like I'm stepping on eggshells on this thread? Couldn't've been triggered by anything I said?...[rolleyes-e]

Bellow was the first thing that came to mind in attaching a sound to a moose....but that's probably a stereotypical caricature of the sound they truly make.

Of course, a musical ensemble of meese would be a group of moosicians. (ahem) And a moose poet would be mooseful.

moose sick

Good'n, Faldage! And, no!...not to be forgotten.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 06:59 PM
All I can say is I wish we had some moose around here to keep the flying squirrels company.

Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 07:22 PM
This sheds new light on "flying squirrels".

...why do I feel like I'm stepping on eggshells on this thread?

How do think that makes the eggshells feel?

whimpering
whistling dixie
woof

Posted By: Faldage Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 08:07 PM
Good'n, Faldage!

'Cept'n I stole it from another thread.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 09:27 PM
Only to find Gideon's Bible!

- Pfranz
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 11:45 PM
Pfranz, you're such a raccoonteur.

OK, enough already with the ad hominem thang

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Words for Sounds - 01/30/03 11:49 PM
'Cept'n I stole it from another thread.

Honest thievery will get you nowhere!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Words for Sounds - 01/31/03 07:04 AM
Dunno Betsy, I feel a bit rocky myself today!

- Pfranz
Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 01/31/03 05:10 PM
...I feel a bit rocky myself...

Does this mean you're 'gonna fly now'?

razzberries
purr
gulp

Posted By: Capfka Re: Words for Sounds - 01/31/03 09:39 PM
Does this mean you're 'gonna fly now'?

Naw, next Saturday. For 32 interminable hours ...

- Pfranz
Posted By: Jackie Re: Words for Sounds - 02/01/03 01:53 AM
For 32 interminable hours ...
Take a goodly supply of sleeping pills, Sweetheart. But do get up and walk around every so often, okay? Much love to you.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Words for Sounds - 02/01/03 01:59 AM
Musick,

Why do you want words for sounds, such as the above mentioned grunt, giggle, guffaw, gag and gang? Is this just idle curiosity, or are you perhaps composing some avant-garde piece of music in which such words are used?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Words for Sounds - 02/01/03 05:43 AM
He wants to become a one-person symphony orchestra, without music. But with Musick. I can just hear it. "I'm now the first violins, playing A for a quaver, Bb for a quaver, C, D, E, F for semi-quavers. E---EEEEeeeeEE. Now, at the same time, I'm a flute in the woodwind section playing F for a quaver, G for a quaver, A, Bb, C, D for semi-quavers. Tooot--toottooooooot. Now I'm the bassoon, playing the same notes as the flute and at the same time, but one octave lower. Honk, honk, honnnnnnnnnk.

Yeah, that would work.

- Pfranz
Posted By: musick Re: Words for Sounds - 02/01/03 03:54 PM
WW - Tain't no above mentioned guffaw or gag... mehbee its some kind of 'slip' you just made... Curiosity, yes. Idle, no. Truthfully, there was so much chatting going on, I thought I'd slap myself and wake up in a werld where the werds themselves initiate the context, not t'other way 'round... kinda like putting Descartes before the horse...

... we return you now to those thrilling days of yesteryear (1812 pr'aps)...

clip-clop
neigh
chaunt

Posted By: TEd Remington Male meese go into heat? - 02/02/03 06:12 PM
Rut row.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Words for Sounds - 02/05/03 11:43 AM
crunch
clank
slurp

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Words for Sounds - 02/05/03 02:03 PM
drip drop

Posted By: consuelo Re: Words for Sounds - 02/06/03 12:26 AM
sniff
scratch
sigh

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Words for Sounds - 02/06/03 12:31 AM
splish
splash
dash
pish-posh (it's a stretch)
snap
crackle
pop

I'll bet there's an onomatopoeia list online somewhere that could save us a lot of trouble.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Words for Sounds - 02/06/03 12:38 AM
But...but...but...where's the fun in that?

squish
splat
squirt
food fight

Posted By: of troy Re: Words for Sounds - 02/06/03 05:43 PM
Whoop, and holler, and yodel...

but if you are very sad, keen.

Posted By: of troy Re: Words for Sounds - 02/06/03 06:04 PM
i replied to any other post and mentioned keen, and thought about it.

i can't keen unless i am truly heartbroken, if i try to do it otherwise, i fail-- but i continue, i can eventual keen, but when i hear the sound of keening, (and when i keen) i feel sad--hearing (and making the sound) effects my mood.

i remember seeing a Nova (a PBS science show) some 15 or more years ago, and it pointed out that certain sounds invoke emotional responces. (there were several studies done on it... ) cultures all over the world use certain tones, with certain lenghts, to invoke emotional responces.. Beethovens 5th, (Ba da da dumm) almost everywhere invoke gloom, terror, foreboding.. everyone hears doom approaching. other sounds, joy, others, reverence

just like Yawning is "contagious"-- some sounds are too, and the sounds can serve to change an emotional response...

i don't think the world giggle is likely to cause others to giggle, but one person giggling can soon have a whole room in gleeful mood.

in keeping with words for sounds, are there any words that sound (or evoke an emotional responce) how they feel?
--Whoops are another sound that carries an emtional responce, one of pleasure and excitement. i don't think i could whoop unless i was really charged up and happy. but the word whoop itself is flat

© Wordsmith.org