Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington A new word - 12/03/02 11:37 PM
I'm not much on new words; dunno why, but you may have noticed I don't join in much on discussions of pleonasms or coined words. But this one for some reason resonates for me. The following is a text of a message I got from an old old friend in Hawaii. I commend the word for discussion, use, whatever.

"At the recent inauguration of our new governor, Linda Lingle, I quote from the newspaper account. " In one of seven multi-faith invocations, Catholic priest Ronald Burke declared a spirit of "shaloha" for the new administration, combining the Hebrew word for peace, shalom, with the
Hawaiian word invoking love, aloha." Think the man has a good idea there. So Shaloha my dears."

Posted By: Wordwind Re: A new word - 12/03/02 11:39 PM
Or:

Alohom, my dears.

Posted By: sjm Re: A new word - 12/03/02 11:48 PM
Shaloha

I like it, Ted. However, I think that both its component words represent more than is normally conveyed by their standard English equivalents. Certainly shalom" means much more than just "peace", and "aloha" I suspect (if its Maaori version "aroha" is anything to go by) means more than just "love." It seems odd that English, renowned for filching words, has filched so few words to broaden its ability to convey feelings - how many words for "love" did Koine have?

Shalohanui.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: A new word - 12/03/02 11:48 PM
Shaloha, alohom: aleichem both.

© Wordsmith.org