Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh qanat - 12/01/02 02:20 AM
Back when the US first started fighting in Afghanistan, there was a news article about
the Afghans fearing we would damage the "qanats" and badly hurt agriculture. I posted
about it then, but I just saw an "engines" episode # 1250, which tells quite a lot
about them.http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1250.htm

Posted By: milum Re: qanat - 12/01/02 05:53 PM
Very interesting constructions and term, Bill. Some of the pits and horizontal spring caves in the limestone regions of the southeastern states could be said to be natural qanats. If I find an unnamed cave that takes the classic form I'll put it on the survey as a "qanat.

Posted By: magimaria Re: qanat - 12/01/02 10:57 PM
My, Dr. Bill, that's very interesting. Never heard of such a word. Thanks for the webpage. I was hoping to get into the 'speleogenisis' thing (at some point), and I guess this comes close (at least we're going under ground here). Fascinating....I have a poem about the 'aquaduct of the mind.....' that came out as I thought about those ancient waterways and the way it reminds me of following the currents of someone's thoughts. This takes a whole new direction, deep under the desert sands...

© Wordsmith.org