Wordsmith.org
Posted By: boronia complainting a little - 09/20/02 04:37 PM
This bugs me even more than nucular -- the chairperson of our Complaints Committee says 'complaintant' (yes, with an extra 't' in there). Given his role, he says it A LOT! Staff members go out of their way to say the word properly, but it doesn't make a difference. In fact, other Cttee members are starting to follow the chair's lead. Aaaarrgh!

Posted By: wow Re: complainting a little - 09/20/02 04:41 PM
Don't you tape the meetings?

"Oh would God the giftie gee us
to hear ourselves as others hear us."

(apology to Robbie Burns)

Posted By: Faldage Re: complainting a little - 09/20/02 04:49 PM
apology to Robbie Burns

Ye'd bluidy weel be''er apologise. Way I haird i' the Giftie *was God

O wad some poower the Giftie gie us...

Posted By: wwh Re: complainting a little - 09/20/02 06:31 PM
Verbing the noun leads to gerunding the verb.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: complainting a little - 09/20/02 07:12 PM
There's never any need to apologise to Burns. Why, where I come from the pigeons shit on his statue with complete impugnity. As should anyone be able to!

Posted By: TEd Remington This may be a YART, but... - 09/20/02 07:27 PM
British Prime Minister Tony Blair opened a new hospital in Edinburgh. After cutting the ribbon he went on a tour of the wards. He entered a ward filled with patients who did not seem to be suffering from any injury or obvious disability. He greeted a bearded man in a nearby bed, who replied: "Fair fa' your honest sonsie face, great chieftain o the pudden race!"

Blair, somewhat bemused, smiled politely and moved on to another bed and asked the patient how he was getting on. The patient shook his head and replied: "Some hae meat and canna eat, and some wad eat that want it. But we hae meat and we can eat, and sae the Lord be thankit."

Blair again nodded politely and turned to the next patient, an older man, wearing a Tam O'Shanter of a particularly bright plaid. When asked by Blair how he was keeping, the old man replied: "Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'urous beastie. O what panic's in thy breastie!"

By this time the Prime Minister was totally befuddled and turning to the senior doctor who was accompanying him, whispered: "What sort of ward is this? Are they psychiatric patients?"

"No", replied the doctor, "this is the Burns Unit."

Posted By: wwh Re: complainting a little - 09/20/02 07:27 PM
Dear CK: an interesting coinage, impugnity. Pigeons are so timid, they just can't
manage to be pugnacious about pooping.
If a magician could bring Burns' statue to life, I wonder what verses he would declaim.

Posted By: sjm Re: complainting a little - 09/20/02 11:52 PM
>the pigeons shit on his statue with complete impugnity.

Nice pun with that last word there, CapK. The pigeons impugn him with impunity - I like it!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: complainting a little - 09/21/02 06:58 AM
Oooo, he got it, he got it!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: complainting a little - 09/23/02 11:56 AM
Oooo, he got it, he got it!

'Ditto,' said Tweedledum.

`Ditto, ditto!' cried Tweedledee.

© Wordsmith.org