Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth realine - 07/22/02 06:02 AM
I didn't know this alternative spelling for 'realign' existed until recently. Princeton's WordNet has it in their dictionary so I guess it's not that rare over on Amerike's continent. Any comments?

Posted By: sjm Re: realine - 07/22/02 06:16 AM
You have got to be kidding! Sorry, but it's vile to me.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: realine - 07/22/02 07:39 AM
No big deal. Language changes. You pick up some new spellings from time to time.

However, even though I've never seen realine till today, it does give me an extra word now to play in Scrabble, so that's good. And it's a pretty easy way to increase your vocabularly by one word 'cause you know that both realign and realine are two words with the same meaning.

Thanks, belligerent, for giving us an easy word for this Friday's vocabulary quiz.

Test regards,
WordWords

Since when did WordNet become god? It's just possible that Wordnet could goof, and I'd say they goofed here.

"Realine" gives only 1,860 google hits, which would make it rare indeed.

Even the 1,860 is a huge overstatement: the overwhelming majority are sites written in a foreign tongue. By eyeball guessimate, less than 50 of those hits are not in foreign language, or as proper nouns, or as cites of WordNet. It's the level of usage of a typo, not a word.
Posted By: belligerentyouth Realine Car Services - 07/22/02 09:40 AM
> It's the level of usage of a typo, not a word.

LOL!!! Nice one - we are going to get on well, you!

> Since when did WordNet become god?

I was by no means trying to imply that this, errr, version, should be included... I just figured that if it crept into WordNet then it could not be completely unheard of. I doubt whether we'll see it in OED anytime soon - put it that way! Thanks for the Google information (I guess I could have looked myself), that seems to clear up the question of how common it is. I guessed its usage might be more common among firm names or services, a la 'Nite-Lite', as are so common in the U.S.

Googligng <realine princeton> did turn up that "realine" is used in one place in the US statutes. But not a recent statute. It dates back to 1955.

The statute deals with the Atomic Energy Commission. You will be comforted with this small example of how precisely they act.

http://resource.lawlinks.com/Content/Legal_Research/US_code/Title_42/title_42_24.htm (scroll down to Section 2321)

Posted By: Napier's Bones Re: Realine Car Services - 07/22/02 09:49 AM
pleased to meet you belligerentyouth

When this thread is complete, let's you and me send a scathing note off to princeton. :)

Posted By: consuelo Re: Realine Car Services - 07/22/02 09:53 AM
Welcome aBoard, Napier's Bones. Hope you stick around. If you have any questions about how this place works, feel free to PM me or any of the others.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: realine - 07/22/02 10:25 AM
Sorry, but it's vile to me

Yep, me too. Why do we need a new spelling of "realign" (Scrabble excepted, WW ) ?

I keep finding I pronounce-read it as ree-uh-LEEN. Am I alone in this?
With my pronunciation, perhaps the word could be reserved for use as an adjective by Virtual Reality artists:
"Your world has certain realine qualities".

Posted By: sjm Re: realine - 07/22/02 10:33 AM
>With my pronunciation, perhaps the word could be reserved for use as an adjective by Virtual Reality artists:
"Your world has certain realine qualities".

Exactement! Well encapsulated, velocipiscine.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: realine - 07/22/02 11:27 AM
velocipiscine

Excellent; yet another term of reference!

We have Fish, Fish-man, Shona, Fisk, Foab, pezcyclado (the lovely consuelo's creation), Piscis Bicyclata, and now velocipiscine.

Have to say, I do like the implication of speed in your term, sjm, however little resemblance it bears to reality

Posted By: emanuela welcome to you, Napier's bones - 07/22/02 12:44 PM
the strangest nickname that I have seen!
Anyway, I DO HAVE Napier's bones, made with wood instead...

Posted By: wwh Re: Realine - 07/22/02 12:48 PM
"realine is not in my dictionary, which I think means it is not at all widely used.
"aline" is in my dictionary, and obviously people who use it will coin "realine"
which perhaps ought to be "re-aline". I prefer "realign".

Posted By: Napier's Bones Re: welcome to you, Napier's bones - 07/22/02 05:05 PM
Thank you emanuela and consuelo. Emanuela, I'm pleased to see you got the reference.

belligerentyouth, how in the devil did you manage to come across the realine in that dictionary? That's remarkable that you found it. Well done!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: welcome to you, Napier's bones - 07/22/02 06:10 PM
> how in the devil did you manage to come across the realine in that dictionary?

S'here:
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=realign (bottom of page)

I was actually just looking for some synonyms for 'realign' while writing. Writing what, and why 'realign'? - Well, it's something I'd prefer not to just blurt out here, but it is in the realm of this text by A Guy Called Gerald:

The universe we mould around this one of a multi-dimensional speckles of reality resonates,
or you could say it creates, an interference pattern within the fabric of space.
If we were to look closely at an individual human being,
We would find that the body is made up of a mass of resonating particles and is in itself a universe.
All information exists here and now within our own consciousness.
There are places we can go within our consciousness that unite our being with the cosmos.
We need to align our minds with the cosmic mind,
If we are going to find any of the purposes of our existence,
Or find answers to some of the unexplained problems,
Especially as we are heading towards one of the most important increments in the history of our time here.

Does that answer your question - or just throw open a whole lot more?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: welcome to you, Napier's bones - 07/22/02 06:36 PM
damn, b-y, now we're cooking!

Posted By: FishonaBike Cosmic - 07/26/02 08:39 AM
We need to align our minds with the cosmic mind

Wow, Profound One.

Will the cosmic mind meet me half-way if I ask nicely?
Otherwise I'm afraid I'm a bit of a lost cause.

A Guy Called Gerald
Does the capitalization indicate this is a handle of some kind? And was the text online rather than printed?

(yes, it's opened up more questions!)

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: A Guy Called Gerald - 07/26/02 11:08 AM
...is a dance band. Only song I know by them (him?) is Voodoo Ray. I wasn't aware that they were philosomaphizers too...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A Guy Called Gerald - 07/26/02 11:48 AM
http://www.alltheweb.com(I prefer it over google):

http://www.alwaysontherun.net/gerald.htm

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: A Guy Called Gerald - 07/26/02 12:08 PM
> now we're cooking....

.... even though a few are afraid someone will get their fingers scorched. [g]

© Wordsmith.org